Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Form Templates

Go to End

3 Posts   3163 Views

Nathan Cox

Community Member, 99 Posts

5 September 2007 at 12:40pm

Hi, I'm trying to set my site up to use a custom template to display the forms, but I'm having some troubles.

I tried overwriting Form.ss, but it seems to be used by the CMS as well, so the admin area was all screwed up by the new form template.

So I put my template into PageForm.ss and changed the page template to use <% include PageForm %> instead of $Form, which works fine (if I put <% control Form %> in it) except that it doesn't work for things like the login page form, since it's rendered with Form.ss but isn't in the Form control.
I could override LoginForm and change it's forTemplate(), but that would have a problem with the <% control Form %> in the template, and I was wondering if there's a tidier and more consistent way. I thought of overriding the Form class, but I can't do that...if I just subclass it or use Object::useCustomClass('Form', 'PageForm'), things like the LoginForm still won't use it, and I'd rather not hack any of SilverStripe's files.

Can anyone recommend a nicer way of doing this?

lukehumble

17 Posts

2 November 2007 at 5:33am

Edited: 02/11/2007 5:33am

I would be interested in this as well!

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

4 November 2007 at 3:47pm

yeah, useCustomClass is way to global for what you're trying to achieve.
what should your custom template contain that formfields can't handle?
using CompositeFields with setID()/addClassName(), and using LiteralFields for any raw HTML needed can get you a long way towards customsing forms.
if you need a different rendering of a specificl FormField, subclass it and change its Field() or FieldHolder() method.
i don't think there's an easy way to circumvent the <% control Fields %> in a custom template, if thats what you're trying to achieve.

we've got a a documentation request outstanding for this kind of customizing: http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/1540