Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

installation stuck on "Building database schema..."

Go to End

8 Posts   5349 Views

rgl

7 Posts

13 September 2007 at 5:08am

Edited: 13/09/2007 5:10am

I am attempting to install Silverstripe; however, the installation process stuck on "Building database schema..." and would not proceed any further.

My setup is as follows:
- Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring (GNOME interface - shouldn't matter though)
- Apache 2, PHP 5.2.1, MySQL 5.0.37, installed using built-in software installation management utility
- silverstripe tarball uncompress directory onto /var/www/html, with all previous subdirectories eliminated - that is, index.html, index.php, etc. are directly on /var/www/html and access by just http://localhost via the web browser
- owner:group of /var/www/html and all files/sub-subdirectories below are apache:apache
- all status indicates green/OK on the install.php page prior to clicking "Install SilverStripe" button.

What are the ways to eliminate this problem? I am using SilverStripe 2.0.2b - the latest available on the website.

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

13 September 2007 at 7:52am

Any idea on the CPU and RAM of the machine? We get this happening from time to time, so your specs would be useful. I wonder if it is just a memory/CPU-intenstive operation that isn't playing nicely with the machine?

You should be able to either visit the homepage of your site, or run /db/build to progress through the installation bit by bit...

e.g. try visiting the base page of your site, and it has errors, visit

<your website root>/db/build

rgl

7 Posts

13 September 2007 at 8:40am

Edited: 13/09/2007 8:46am

Hi:

The setup is inside a virtualized environment within VMWare Workstation 6.0:
- based CPU: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60
- VM profile: VMWare Workstation 5.x compatible, ESX compatible
- RAM given to VM: 384MB (there is a Linux swap partition of equilvent size in the vm)
- file system: xfs (don't think whether that matters)
- VMWare-tools: installed and working

Sigurd

13 September 2007 at 5:34pm

Thanks.

Did you try my ideas above ?

rgl

7 Posts

15 September 2007 at 8:21am

I screwed up the VM (something unreleated to Silverstripe) so I have to reinstall the VM from scratch. I'll try installing Silverstripe again; I'll also be trying out different Linux distros to see if it makes a difference.

rgl

7 Posts

26 September 2007 at 1:24pm

I finally got Silverstripe installed - this time around I used Fedora 7 (I chose F7 because it has the latest PHP versions as recommended by SS). I'll share my experience in another posting.

Sigurd

26 September 2007 at 1:40pm

Glad to hear! :)

paddimac

Community Member, 4 Posts

12 March 2008 at 9:15am

Solution: I am using Plesk 8.3 and have struggled all day, but after monitoring the errors in the error_log file: tail -f <real_path>/<domain>/statistics/logs/error_log, I discovered that the issue is because of the open_basedir.

I followed the solution here to change the basdir: http://kb.swsoft.com/article_41_432_en.html and it worked. Hallejah!