Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Blog Module /

Discuss the Blog Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Return blog posts by author

Go to End

4 Posts   3113 Views

socks

Community Member, 191 Posts

5 April 2011 at 7:10pm

I'd like to link the author's name to return all of the posts by that author. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

digibrains

Community Member, 130 Posts

20 May 2011 at 6:22am

Edited: 20/05/2011 6:22am

*bump*

I'm trying to do something very similar. I'd like to return the BlogHolder with a list of BlogEntries based on something other than /tag/ or /date/.

In the BlogTree.php comments I see:

* @param callback retrieveCallback A function to call with pagetype, filter and limit for custom blog sorting or filtering

But that's a little over my head to fully grasp how to do that.

Thanks,
chris

Juanitou

Community Member, 323 Posts

20 May 2011 at 8:02am

Edited: 20/05/2011 8:04am

Hi!

That’s quite easy, since I managed to do it… ;-)

On the basis of the provided widgets, I made an AuthorWidget. Then, you have to modify the allowed actions in BlogHolder_Controller, provide some get functions, etc. I don’t really remember the details. Ah, also the templates, for sure. I have packed the whole modified module for you to try it but beware: it was done before the actual version that includes a BlogTree and also includes some modifications I did in order to get special chars showing correctly. Sorry, but I have not the time to explain or support it better, you’ll have to figure out by yourselves.

Good luck!
Juan

Attached Files
digibrains

Community Member, 130 Posts

25 May 2011 at 5:49am

Hi, Juanitou,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the files you posted. Ideally, I would like to avoid hacking the core blog files. The ones you posted are a bit different than the current version with BlogTree.php, but I get the idea.

Looking at the blog core code, it looks like the functionality to sort by author was supposed to be there, but obviously it doesn't work.

Instead of trying to fix it, I just extended the BlogHolder/BlogEntry and made a function to return based on author:

function GetAuthor(){
return DataObject::get('BlogEntry',"Author = '$this->Author'",'','','');
}

Then on my extended BlogHolderExtended page I just use <% control GetAuthor %> to iterate through instead of <% include BlogSummary %>

Not the prettiest, but it was an acceptable solution.

Hope that helps someone.

Chris