Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Connect With Other SilverStripe Members /

For all SilverStripe-related topics that don't fit into any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

'Liking' forum posts / author notifications

Go to End

4 Posts   1846 Views

Xurk

Community Member, 50 Posts

17 December 2010 at 3:01am

This isn't really a post about SilverStripe, but more an idea for this forum. By now, there have been dozens of occasions where I stumble upon a problem during working in SilverStripe and head over here to search for a solution (yeah, it's almost a daily routine ;-)).

But quite often, the solution which I find amongst the dozens of pages of results, is located in a thread which is from 2008 or 2009. What I would like to do, is reply to the thread to thank the author of the post for helping me out (and also not unimportant, to help me track the thread down again if I run into the same problem in the future), but by doing so, ancient threads would be bumped all the time and that doesn't comply with forum netiquette.
So what would be ideal in these types of situations, is if the SS Forum extension (which is no doubt what this forum is running on) included some sort of "Like" function for each post in a thread. I'm not talking about Liking something on Facebook, but just within the forum itself. Similar to what they've done over at SSBits for their blog posts. That way, the post author could be notified that someone has liked/thanked him for his comment and also, you could track down all your "Likes" on your profile page, next to your list of recent posts.

Anyone else think this could be a useful additional feature?

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

17 December 2010 at 11:57am

swaiba like this ;-)

joking!

I completely agree, I think ssbits is missing it's initial purpose - to make learning ss easier. I often think of starting something similar where I have taken snippets from here and there and solved problems. But then I think I should really just start editing the the documentation wiki - it may sound crazy but after being told it was a wiki I did find the 'create account somewhere' but never seem to find the login quick enough if there is something I think I could contribute there - so I end up putting on my own internal wiki and just post here on the forum instead.

I get the idea something is happening to improve documentation (there is always something going on to improve silverstirpe!) and I'd like to see a more wikipedia style wiki for the help to edit it much more easily.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

17 December 2010 at 1:01pm

So what would be ideal in these types of situations, is if the SS Forum extension (which is no doubt what this forum is running on) included some sort of "Like" function for each post in a thread. I'm not talking about Liking something on Facebook, but just within the forum itself. Similar to what they've done over at SSBits for their blog posts. That way, the post author could be notified that someone has liked/thanked him for his comment and also, you could track down all your "Likes" on your profile page, next to your list of recent posts.

Patches are welcome :) Liking a post is similar to unsubscribing so it shouldn't be too hard to add that functionality.

I get the idea something is happening to improve documentation (there is always something going on to improve silverstirpe!) and I'd like to see a more wikipedia style wiki for the help to edit it much more easily.

Yes you can see the new documentation in process at https://github.com/chillu/silverstripe-doc-restructuring. The idea is we would have the official documentation written in markdown (you can see there) and then a more recipe / cookbook / wiki area. More details on the silverstripe.org blog.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

18 December 2010 at 2:01am

Edited: 18/12/2010 2:07am