Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Connect With Other SilverStripe Members /

For all SilverStripe-related topics that don't fit into any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

The SilverStripe Developer Community: A Retrospective

Go to End

11 Posts   7614 Views

camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

3 August 2012 at 1:05pm

Not sure where else to put this thread, but thanks to those that contributed to our workshop on Wed, 1st Aug 2012.

I have a summary of the ideas available for comment at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZhVQAxR4RNSy9gxA_PIpAHpGx8S_Yi1HyvNsgbRK3KY/edit

Also included in this document is a summary of some of the ideas that came out of the SilverStripe UK community feedback session they held in April 2012.

If anyone would like to contribute more ideas or discuss some of the proposed please feel free to do so in here.

Thanks all,

Cam

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

3 August 2012 at 4:58pm

Nice work Cam, loved the talk on Wednesday night!

joern

Community Member, 28 Posts

7 August 2012 at 2:47am

Edited: 07/08/2012 3:06am

Nice work!
We could implement something like Votebox https://www.dropbox.com/help/136/en for new modules and useful, modular classes.

I think the silverstripe.org site is also a bit confusing, maybe a bit restructuring/redesigning would help.
(maybe a contest like for the new theme)

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

7 August 2012 at 8:02pm

@joern, talking with the SS LTD guys that night it sounds like their working on a redesign for it at the moment. If you have feedback make sure you tweet / email @silverstripe with any comments.

joern

7 August 2012 at 8:35pm

Edited: 07/08/2012 8:36pm

Ok, i will do…

I think, everyone who deals with open source structures should read The Cathedral and the Bazaar by Eric S. Raymond.

The Cathedral and the Bazaar (abbreviated CatB) is an essay by Eric S. Raymond on software engineering methods, based on his observations of the Linux kernel development process and his experiences managing an open source project, fetchmail. It examines the struggle between top-down and bottom-up design. It was first presented by the author at the Linux Kongress on May 27, 1997 in Würzburg and was published as part of a book of the same name in 1999.

http://catb.pandamian.com/

camfindlay

7 August 2012 at 9:45pm

Hey Joern, yes the cathedral and bazaar concept has a lot of crossover with Wenger et al's work on the levels of community.

You need a core to integrate all the disparate parts created independently by the community contributors individual efforts - otherwise this tend to get a bit chaotic as they say a camel is a horse designed by a committee!

Nicholas Carr also has a good article called "the ignorance of the crowd" which discusses the idea that you need both the cathedral AND bazaar to make good open source software work.

Interesting and geeky reading :D

joern

7 August 2012 at 10:04pm

Hi,
yes, that's true. you'll definitely need a core and a small group around it. But as i said, for example new modules could be voted/managed/development by the community, on a platform builded by the community, not given from the "top".

In my opinion, a community should work from the inside out, only then will create their own group feeling.

For me, there are currently too many spreaded sites. (API, documentation, google groups, etc.). The silverstripe.org is for me basicly the forum, news, and the download area. Whenever I search for extensions and modules, I google… I find many things at github but rarely here ...
That should change and i would help!

camfindlay

8 August 2012 at 11:51am

Very interesting development... Area51 have close the SilverStripe proposal as being duplicate... stating "This proposal would tend to drain audience from an existing Stack Exchange site."

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/42864/silverstripe

Can this be contested, wonder what is the other site is they mean?

We'll a heads up to SilverStripe Ltd, if they won't allow things on stack exchange but the community can see value in the style of Q&A they provide, that might be something to build into any update in SS.org coming up :)

Perhaps an extension to the forum? Allowing vote up of replies that answer the questions rather than having to trawl through lots of threads to find answers.

Go to Top