Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Content Editor Discussions /

Forum for content editors and CMS users.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Tiny MCE Javascript Code Stripping Out.. Why?

Go to End

7 Posts   10951 Views

Arun

Community Member, 8 Posts

5 January 2010 at 6:44pm

Hi,

My name is Arun, I am new to the Silverstripe CMS. I have setup a site using this CMS. But now i am facing an issue that is regarding the tiny mce editor.

The issue is that, while i am putting javascript code with in the editor, once we look after saving the content, we can see that the javascript code is fully stipped off.

For eg:
<script language="javascript">
for(1=0;1<10;1++){
document.write('helo world');
}
</script>

consider if this is the code i have put with in the tiny mce editor, after saving it will look like
<script language="javascript"></script>

Anybody have idea why this happend...?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Arun.

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

5 January 2010 at 8:35pm

Hi Arun, welcome to SilverStripe

There are several topics discussing this matter, just search the forum.
These might give you some pointers:
http://www.silverstripe.org/content-editor-discussions/show/270339
http://silverstripe.org/general-questions/show/255947

But if JavaScript in the Editor is your answer, then you're most likely asking the wrong question. Good practice would be to have an external JavaScript file that adds the desired functionality on top of the content. Have a look at jQuery.

Arun

Community Member, 8 Posts

6 January 2010 at 7:19pm

Hello Banal,

Nice to meet you.

Thanks for your quick reply. You just save my life Banal. Now i can put javascript code with in the tiny mce editor.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Arun.

tazzydemon

Community Member, 135 Posts

15 January 2010 at 4:51pm

Edited: 15/01/2010 4:53pm

I did the silverstrip extended_valid_element mods and although the editor still left the script tags in, it removed the contents unless they were commented out.

I have noticed that some people struggle with tinymce and this issue because tinymce are such purists. So, for those of you also wrangling over this please read the following from sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2847779&group_id=103281&atid=635682

I used the information there telling me that the patches in minor version 2.6 were commented by WEBPOWER to retrofit the mods to the older tinymce.src in Silverstripe 2.3.4 (minor version 2.0.2)

I personally do not like beong prevented from adding inline javascript however unethical it is. Placing it in the templates to be called is a pain. In this respect Modx is just the opposite and much easier to use. Why people (including tinymce in particular) get so precious about this I cannot imagine.

The calls in your _config.php

HtmlEditorConfig::get('cms')->setOption('extended_valid_elements', 'script[language|type|src]');
HtmlEditorConfig::get('cms')->setOption('verify_html', 'false'); // turn off html validation

Do not need to be made after this mod.

Can we have FCKEDITOR for Silverstripe please!!!!???

Julian

bummzack

15 January 2010 at 7:41pm

Well, I for one like an editor that
a) creates valid xhtml
b) does not allow my content editors to put in any garbage they find

It's perfectly simple and good practice to add JavaScript as an unobtrusive layer on top of your html.
If you really need some custom inline JavaScript, why not create a dedicated TextareaField for that? Where you can enter plain html without having to worry about any clean-up measures.

Btw. Putting the JavaScript code in html-comments (<!-- -->) is perfectly valid.. this code will get executed anyway. So why not leave it that way?

tazzydemon

Community Member, 135 Posts

16 January 2010 at 10:02am

Dear Banal

It only worked like that after I did the _config alterations specified and the comments were not quite right. The whole lot was suspicious.

It not that I REALLY want inline JS it just that sometimes it is the easiest solution (say for a quick and dirty googlemap or whatever). I simply think the option should be allowed and not removed. The script is valid inline markup.

I am trying Silverstripe from Modx which I have used a lot (and I live in Enzed). In modx creating the extra field is as easy as creating a template variable in the cms. In fact almost everything is done within the cms including the templates. This is its beauty (and its danger I suppose) Where modx fails is the multiple pass snippet parsing which can get slow (in V1).

So, how does one create this extra field? Where are the docs. I love having extra fields.

In modx I use a yaml template with several tinymce content fields. The system tests for their use and sets the columns up accordingly without the user even knowing about it. It would be nice to do that here.

Julian

bummzack

16 January 2010 at 11:04pm

I'm a former MODx user myself. But when I discovered SilverStripe, there was no going back for me. I'm not going to elaborate on the reasons why (who cares anyway).

To add new fields to pages, you edit your Page-Class (add the fields to the $db array) or Subclasses thereof.
All this stuff is basically covered in Tutorial 1 and 2, so you're probably best of starting there:
http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=tutorials