Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Content Editor Discussions /

Forum for content editors and CMS users.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How would you redesign the CMS?

Go to End

5 Posts   5827 Views

alirobe

Community Member, 35 Posts

3 September 2009 at 2:09am

Edited: 04/09/2009 1:21am

SilverStripe's CMS design is pretty darned good. It's by far the best out there today. But designs can *always* be improved with hindsight. How would you improve the SS CMS? (Attached is how I'd do it)

(edit: added expanded menus and PSD)

dhensby

Community Member, 253 Posts

3 September 2009 at 2:56am

Hmm, nice design.

But Silverstripe isn't good for small monitors at the moment and that would be even worse.

I don't know how i would improve it... I'm not much of a designer or user analysis and i find it works really well. I guess the best way would be to ask my clients what they would want to change.

The usability of the CMS needs to change over the design.

alirobe

Community Member, 35 Posts

3 September 2009 at 3:11am

Edited: 04/09/2009 1:21am

Thanks for the comment :)

> But Silverstripe isn't good for small monitors at the moment and that would be even worse.

Actually, I reduced the vertical height usage and added a 'collapse' button (top right of dark blue vertical bar), which would collapse the horizontal space too. The function of that button has been made unclear because I was fiddling with the design, but the purpose was to collapse *both* bars on the right.

(edit: added fixed design + minor design tweaks)

Attached Files
dhensby

Community Member, 253 Posts

3 September 2009 at 4:34am

I see, clever.

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

30 September 2009 at 10:11am

I like this a lot. I also like the minimisation of background images in replacement of flat colours (every bit of server load reduction helps).

There have been a few topics in this forum about customising the CMS, it is supposed to be quite simple to make some changes. I have been trying to find related topics to do a little bit of work on something similar (Although probably not as complex).

Mo