Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

create a true virtual holder page with no urlsegment / have children URLsegments set at root level

Go to End

2 Posts   1232 Views

forthosewhofeartomorrow

Community Member, 2 Posts

23 February 2017 at 8:47am

So i have a very specific task I need to accomplish, and I'd like to do this the *right way*.

Basically my client is interested in creating a landing page module for the website, with explicit permissions for certain members to only be allowed to interact with those specific pages. Fine.

However, the other requirement is that these pages are all accessible from the baseurl - i.e. www.example.com/my-landing-page/

The simplest solution is to allow said members to create pages at the root level... but I'd rather not let them do that, as it would quickly balloon out of control and the bloat to the site tree would not be scalable.

I would rather, ideally, do the following:
- Use the Blog Module as a holder page that doesn't exist as a page, but just holds the landing pages themselves
-- This can't be the homepage as I don't want these members to have access to the homepage, also because the homepage would append /home/ to the URLs anyway.
-- Users should be able to go into this holder page, create their landing page from a variety of different classes based on their need, and be able to set additional features yadda yadda yadda

All of that can be dealt with, except for the bypassing of the page creation. As far as I can tell, I can't tell Silverstripe to not actually publish a page but still have its children accessible - nor can I tell it to bypass the URLSegment requirement. I know I can still set it up with a urlsegment like "lp", but i'd rather just not have that be a page at all and keep the landing pages accessible from the root level, without cluttering up the site tree.

Is this at all possible? I can't find any documentation or other issues in the forums that would suggest it is.

Devlin

Community Member, 344 Posts

25 February 2017 at 5:58am

You can set the config "SiteTree:nested_urls" to false to disable nested urls.