Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Changing system files safely

Go to End

5 Posts   1590 Views

polyfragmentiert

Community Member, 4 Posts

22 April 2010 at 8:12pm

Edited: 22/04/2010 8:13pm

Hello,

I'm currently playing around with SilverStripe 2.4 rc1 and will freely admit I'm not a hot-shot PHP/OOP/MVC programmer (yet). I know the basic procedural stuff, but would like to learn.

I'd like to know how to tweak system files like "SiteTree.php" without losing the changed funtionality on a new install or upgrade? In my case, I'd like to change how links in breadcrumbs are rendered.

Some nice dude from IRC gave me a hint yesterday, but I forgot the details. I think it involved specifying a new SiteTree.php in _config.php?

Any hints appreciated

Cheers,

- Thorsten

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

23 April 2010 at 8:57pm

Hi Thorsten and Welcome to the Forums.

I'd like to know how to tweak system files like "SiteTree.php" without losing the changed funtionality on a new install or upgrade? In my case, I'd like to change how links in breadcrumbs are rendered.

In most cases you can extend SS without ever touching the core files. This is one of the things we try quite hard to maintain and improve as editing core files is annoying, hard to maintain and risky.

In your case of customizing the breadcrumbs - you can copy the function from SiteTree.php to your Page.php file in mysite/code. Paste it into your Page_Controller then edit away!.

You can still use the standard $Breadcrumbs template tag. All this does is call the one on your Page before SiteTree and as long as all your Pages on the site extend Page and Page_Controller you should be fine!

polyfragmentiert

24 April 2010 at 11:33am

Edited: 24/04/2010 7:47pm

Hi Willr,

thanks for the warm welcome and your suggestion!

When I insert the Breadcrumbs() function into the Page_Controller I get the following error:

Fatal error: Access to undeclared static property: Page_Controller::$breadcrumbs_delimiter in C:\wamp\www\silverstripe\mysite\code\Page.php  on line 43

Added:

return implode(self::$breadcrumbs_delimiter, array_reverse($parts));

I haven't touched any other code yet, what could be the problem here?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

24 April 2010 at 11:37am

Ah there is probably a reference to a self::$breadcrumbs_delimiter on line 43? change it to SiteTree::$breadcrumbs_delimiter.

polyfragmentiert

24 April 2010 at 7:52pm

I added in the line in question in my earlier post, thanks for the indirect reminder and your successful guesswork!

It works now! :) Thanks a lot!