Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Blank alerts and "Error loading page"

Go to End

3 Posts   2932 Views

Tom B.

Community Member, 5 Posts

29 June 2010 at 10:24pm

Hi, I recently wrote an additional bit for one of our Silverstripe sites- just a type of Page with a few extra HTML fields. Anyway, I deployed this new version of the site to our staging server, and all was well- I could edit the page fine in the admin panel, and the page displayed fine. However, when I checked out the same code onto our live server, I found that the admin page won't let me edit anything- I get a blank Javascript alert() and a message saying "Error loading page".

This is really perplexing me. Because it worked fine on the staging site, that would seem to suggest that the code I wrote is OK, and because the previous version works fine on the live site, that would suggest that the server is OK. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

I've attached what I got from the Firebug console- some sort of 500 error involving Ajax, I think.
I'm using Silverstripe 2.3.3.

Attached Files
Tom B.

1 November 2010 at 11:17pm

Seems that restarting the web server usually fixes this. Don't know what causes it, though.

masterys

6 April 2012 at 10:57am

We fixed this problem by turning on error reporting in our php.ini file. We then could see the actual error, which was:

Fatal error:  Class 'DOMDocument' not found in ... [filename]

Some research on the Web revealed that we needed to install the PHP DOM Extension and the way to do that was by using SSH to log into our Linux server and then running:

yum install php-xml

Detailed instructions are here: http://smartwebdeveloper.com/centos/install-the-php-dom-extension-on-centos