Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

ViewerGroups - Changing CanViewType on page.

Go to End

neros3

Community Member, 51 Posts

13 October 2010 at 10:32am

Hi

I'm trying to change the CanViewType on a page and add one or more groups to the ViewerGroups().
Adding the groups with the add-function works fine, but changing the CanViewType doesn't work for me.

This brings me to another thing that I find myself spending time on; write() or writeToStage() and then publish.
I think that writeToStage is only for pages (classes that extends page).
When a class extends DataObject then write() should be good enough... is this correct?

So for the CanViewType I have tried both write() on the page and writeToStage("Stage") and then publish("Stage", "Live") on the page.
Some times I have both a row in the Sitetree and the Sitetree_Live table. Sometimes I manage to get the "OnlyTheseUsers" into the CanViewType, but then its only for the Live table, which is good, but I have the feeling that the CMS uses the non-live table so I would like to keep those in sync.

This is of course used for viewing rights on my site. If a user has no access he/she will be redirected to login page. Is this the desired way to do this? I have also tried using allowed_actions and putting a boolean function to each action. But then I cant control behavior like redirect to login and redirect back on successful login.

Thank you!