Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Moving current site functionality to SilverStripe

Go to End

2 Posts   1396 Views

klompie

Community Member, 2 Posts

2 February 2011 at 9:49am

At the moment I have a site running on my selfbuild cms, but i want to migrate to SilverStripe.

Now I need some functionality ported to SilverStipe.

I have a weekly newsletter that i upload to a database table. It's pretty simple a id, date, comment field and a blob field containg the pdf file. This can only be done by some users and when uploaded a mail is send to all subscribers.
Uses can list all newsletters on a single page.

But based on the same principle is have another table with pdf's that are also periodically uploaded. So i should be a single module, but with multiple "repositories".

Can somebody help met with this. Where do I start. Are there good howto's available that have information on how to do something like this?

I have some more functionality that needs to be ported, but when I have done this i think I could do the rest too.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

2 February 2011 at 9:05pm

Hi Klompie, Welcome to the forums.

I have a weekly newsletter that i upload to a database table. It's pretty simple a id, date, comment field and a blob field containg the pdf file. This can only be done by some users and when uploaded a mail is send to all subscribers.

You have a couple options for what you do here

* There is a newsletter module if you want to use that out of the box (try trunk first). You can attach files to newsletters. So you would just need to set up that module then import your existing data. Look up the newsletter docs for more information on that whole process

* You can do a custom system. First you might want to go through several of the tutorials (1,2,3,5 at least) to get an understanding of how SilverStripe works. In particular, DataObjects and forms as you will be using both to build your system. Each 'newsletter' would be a DataObject with the fields date, comment etc.

Useful documentation:

http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/tutorials
http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/topics/email