Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Infinite request loop with growing page tree in CMS backend after adding a new page type

Go to End

2 Posts   1317 Views

rrva

Community Member, 4 Posts

26 February 2011 at 10:48pm

Edited: 26/02/2011 10:49pm

I am new to silverstripe and just tried to add a new page type which will allow me to fetch content from a remote page.

So, I added the following to mysite/code/RemoteContentPage.php

<?php
class RemoteContentPage extends Page {
  function getCMSFields() {
    $fields = parent::getCMSFields();
    $fields->replaceField('Content', new TextField('Content', 'URL to Remote Content')); // we abuse the content Field now to save the URL, we could do another DB Field, but since we already have Content ...
  }
  function Content() {
    $Text = 'hejsan paag';
    return $Text;
  }
}
class RemoteContentPage_Controller extends Page_Controller {
}
?>

Then I ran /dev/build?flush=1 and tried to create a new remote content page.

Here the backend crashed and I received an alert box that something went wrong (what was not visible in any apache log files).

After that I refreshed the backend by reloading my browser and now the backend page tree menu started to grow indefinitely, adding empty rows to itself and then performing a new request in a infinite loop.

When I removed RemoteContentPage.php from mysite/code and ran /dev/build again, remoteContentPage was still available in the /dev/build output and the backend crashes in the same way. Logout/Login from the backend did not help either.

Will clear all cookies and retry. What did I do wrong when trying to add a new page type?

rrva

Community Member, 4 Posts

27 February 2011 at 2:09am

The problem was that

getCMSFields() did not return any value.

Adding

return $fields;

at the end of the function made it all work again.