Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Show CMS fields based on page access (CanViewType)

Go to End

4 Posts   2415 Views

NickJacobs

Community Member, 148 Posts

1 March 2011 at 3:49pm

Edited: 01/03/2011 3:49pm

Hi, in project we have an issue where it is not immediately obvious if a page is viewable only by logged in users (without going into the Access tab) and this is causing problems for the client. I want to be able to add a literal field on the main tab, saying something like "this page is not publicly viewable..etc etc'. I want to do something like:

if(($this->CanViewType == 'OnlyTheseUsers') || ($this->CanViewType == 'LoggedInUsers')) {	  
$f->addFieldToTab( 'Root.Content.Main', new LiteralField('info1','This page is restricted (not publicly viewable) - change this behaviour on the Access tab'),'Title');
}

This works kinda ok, but since most pages underneath a secure section have a CanViewType = inherit it fails on those pages....
Are there any magic methods, or easier way to do this?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

1 March 2011 at 5:31pm

Using the built in canView() method would be the away to go but it's not quite what you want in this case as you don't have a member record to test it against but you could create a fake one.

$member = new Member();

if(!$this->canView($member)) {
// show msg
}

NickJacobs

Community Member, 148 Posts

2 March 2011 at 12:15pm

Edited: 02/03/2011 12:16pm

Hi Will,

$member = new Member();

if(!$this->canView($member)) { 
         $f->addFieldToTab( 'Root.Content.Main', new LiteralField('info1','<p id=securepage><span>This page is restricted (not publicly viewable) - you can change this behaviour if required on the Access tab</span></p>'),'Title');
 }

this doesn't work for what I want to do...just re-reading my post maybe I wasn't quite clear. I want this to show up in the CMS on the Main tab. Wouldn't the fact that I am already logged in as admin override this?...sorry I don't know enough about how Member works

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

2 March 2011 at 9:42pm

Wouldn't the fact that I am already logged in as admin override this?

Thats how canView() works by default, but like that example I'm passing in a blank $member record. Since that member record isn't logged in at all it should replicate a non logged in user. You can see the code which powers canView - https://github.com/silverstripe/sapphire/blob/2.4/core/model/SiteTree.php#L768. Not sure why a blank member wouldn't work from looking at that code.