Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

In Live mode, CMS hangs on loading and spits out JS errors

Go to End

7 Posts   1362 Views

Ryan M.

Community Member, 309 Posts

17 September 2011 at 3:03pm

When I put my site into Live mode and load the CMS at /admin, it hangs with the "loading..." text staying there and my Firebug lists some javascript related errors. If I put my site into Dev mode, I'm able to access the admin area just fine.

Any hints??

Attached Files
Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

18 September 2011 at 3:55pm

The main difference between dev/live for the admin section would be the automatic minification of files. You can see if disabling that helps:

Requirements::set_combined_files_enabled(false);

Ryan M.

19 September 2011 at 8:26am

That fixed it!
I would like to fix the underlying problem though so that users don't have to implement this solution to get the admin to work.

Willr

19 September 2011 at 8:59am

Well the underlying issue is that in your case the js isn't being minified in the correct way. Have you made any modifications to the CMS? new javascript, using DOM or any modules..

Take out that line I mentioned and look at the contents of the generated minified file (assets/_combined_files/leftandmain.js) and check that it contains content.

Ryan M.

19 September 2011 at 12:05pm

The only modules I have installed are: DOM, UserDefinedForms, Uploadify plus the standard SS installation.
I don't have any custom JS in the CMS. Just using some DOM and HasManyComplexTableField instances here and there.

Some more insight... I removed the line like you suggested and reloaded the CMS. Surprise, no problem this time. However I was logged in already.. maybe this issue only surfaces when you're logging in. Also, I didn't see an assets/_combined_files/ folder... this tells me it's probably not being generated.

Willr

19 September 2011 at 1:12pm

You won't see the folder via the cms, but you should see it in the file system. If it's not on the filesystem check your admin permissions - make sure your web user can write to the folder. i.e http://www.silverstripe.org/assets/_combinedfiles/leftandmain.js

Ryan M.

19 September 2011 at 1:19pm

Yeah I was looking in the file system to begin with.
I set the assets folder perms to 777 and still don't see the _combinedfiles folder. Perhaps I need to create it and set perms on it first?
Another insight... I don't get hit with the loading hang anymore, even when I log out and then back into the admin.