Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How to dynamically populate dropdownfield2 in popup based on selection of dropdownfield1?

Go to End

5 Posts   2777 Views

t_agga

Community Member, 7 Posts

17 December 2008 at 12:40am

Hi guys,

Apart from other fields, I have two dropdownfields in my Popup. I managed to get them populated with data. However, as there is a one-to-many relationship between them, I would like the second combo to be dynamically populated with the data specific to the first one. At the moment I get all the values in a second combo regardless of combo1. Is there a way to do it? And how can I find out if the state of the dropdownfield has been changed and how can I get the value?
I spent days on silverstripe doc, trying to find the answer but no luck.
Thank you in advance.

t_agga

Community Member, 7 Posts

19 December 2008 at 12:20am

Hi guys,
Has anybody attempted to add conditional fields in Popup at all? I managed to update a textfield on the selection of dropdownfield, with the value from that dropdownfield in a tab of admin (used behaviour js file). But no luck with Popup.
Any thoughts guys?
Just let me know if it is possible. Otherwise I will let my boss know that it's not going to happen and we will look at alternatives.
Thanks so much.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

19 December 2008 at 9:27am

At this stage I believe not.

This is a guess, but I think you can't load scripts from a popup, so you can't add the behaviour properly. You'd have to do something really hacky. My answer would be try it another way.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

19 December 2008 at 9:29am

Which makes me think - do tree views work from popups? That would be a good way of handling it in a single field. Eg, say your two dropdowns where countries -> city, you could put them together in a single tree view:

+ New Zealand
---- Auckland
---- Christchurch
---- Hamilton
---- Wellington
+ Australia
---- Adelaide
---- Canberra

Andrew Houle

Community Member, 140 Posts

19 December 2008 at 9:58am

This is a feature that I've tried to add as well, but with no success. This is definitely something I'd like to be able to do. Maybe someone has gotten a hack to work, or maybe it's something that can be added in a later release?