Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Using Flex UI

Go to End

8 Posts   3688 Views

Mozzy

Community Member, 2 Posts

10 August 2009 at 5:36pm

Hi there,
I'm new to SilverStripe and I was told that the underlying framework supports AMF.
Are there any examples or quick walk-throughs out there that could help me having a flex application as the frontend?

I am still going back and forth between Symfony with Sympal and SilverStripe. If it is rather easy to have a Flex frontend in SilverStripe I would go for it.

Cheers,
Mozzy

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

10 August 2009 at 5:57pm

Not sure if it supports AMF (as in, the binary format), but a SilverStripe template can be in any format you want - i.e. it can return XML that can be consumed by a Flex application.

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

10 August 2009 at 6:02pm

Edited: 10/08/2009 6:54pm

No, sapphire doesn't support AMF (at least not the 2.3.3 release and I don't think it's on the roadmap). I usually use XML to deliver content for flash sites. If you're thinking about a flash (flex) backend, you would look at a lot of work I'm afraid.
Maybe you also want to have a look at the Zend Framework? They have a good AMF server implementation.

Correction
Sorry, I re-read your post. You're clearly talking about front-end, not backend. You should be fine using XML (unless you're building a web-application with SilverStripe/Flex?). I just recently completed a flash site (http://bold-werbung.ch/) with SilverStripe as backend. If you need some pointers how to do this, feel free to ask.

Mozzy

Community Member, 2 Posts

10 August 2009 at 6:55pm

Edited: 10/08/2009 7:06pm

Too bad...
But I find it a bit odd since you (banal) mentioned in this post http://silverstripe.org/general-questions/show/261109#post261109 that is actually does?

"It's a highly modular and mature framework with powerful DB abstraction, logger, and Server-Components. It comes with a JSON-RPC Server component (if you have a JavaScript client-app) or a AMF Component (if you plan to write your game-client in flash/flex)."

Humm... well at the end I will then probably go for Symfony.

Sorry I wrote the reply after I read your recent reply.
Can you post an example of the Flash frontend?

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

10 August 2009 at 7:12pm

Hi mozzy

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the Zend Framework in that post (http://framework.zend.com/), which does indeed have an AMF RPC server component.

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

23 August 2009 at 12:50pm

<shameless self promotion>
The upcoming SilverStripe book has a 15 page recipe on creating a Flash frontend driven by SilverStripe CMS (via RestfulServer and custom XML output) ;)
</shameless self promotion>

We've done SilverStripe integration with AMFPHP before, so its possible - although I don't know much about the details.

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

28 August 2009 at 1:27am

When is the upcoming book going to be out? Will it be available in the uk?

Taffy

Community Member, 119 Posts

28 August 2009 at 1:57am