Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Building a news site - blog module or...?

Go to End

2 Posts   1435 Views

SightUnseen

Community Member, 28 Posts

6 October 2009 at 2:33pm

We're rebuilding a sailing news site (http://crew.org.nz) and looked to use the blog module, with the front page as a blog holder. This would involve removing comments etc from code, and the archives functionality, and seems a good fit.

The alternative is to build a news section similar to what is constructed in tutorial 2 with article page and an article holder. We're deliberating whether this is too simplistic for what we want however.

Has anyone built anything similar, and if so; what did you use, and why?

dalesaurus

Community Member, 283 Posts

8 October 2009 at 4:51pm

Well I suppose it will come down to maintenance and future plans. Wordpress is super simplistic and will "just work" for most basic (and some advance) situations. WebGUI is another one I've recommended for users who are not interested in doing much programming.

Silverstripe is great if you have grand ambitions with how you can extend your site's features, but also has just enough to get non-programmers up and running. I've heard it's exhilarating.