Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Moving Blog widgets to my site template

Go to End

2 Posts   1898 Views

_dp

Community Member, 3 Posts

23 November 2009 at 3:52am

So, i set up the blog module to manage my news entries on the frontpage.
i created my own template with a fixed sidebar defined in the Page.ss template file.

i now want to move all the widgets from the blog into this sidebar section and only displaying them on the blog page or entries of the blog. (i dont want the archive box be displayed on the "about-us" page for example)

so i tried to follow this small tutorial: http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=widgets#adding_widgets_to_other_pages
and my page.php file looked in this section like this:

<?php

class Page extends SiteTree {

public static $db = array(
	);

public static $has_one = array(
		"Sidebar" => "WidgetArea"
	);

function getCMSFields()
		{
		$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
		$fields->addFieldToTab("blog.Widget.ArchiveWidget", new WidgetAreaEditor("Sidebar"));
		return $fields;
	    }

}

And unfortunately this doesnt work. My site throws an Website error and i have not the slightest idea how to solve this.

Where do i learn which path to use for a widget i want to include? The tutorial says "Root.Content.Widgets" but where are these packages?

Do i have to use the term "Sidebar"? And why does the authore make use of the term "Sidebar" and calling the object with $SideBar in the template? Isn't Silverstripe case-sensitive?

Can i use any term for this? for example could i just write "Area-to-put-all-the-blog-widgets-in" instead of "Sidebar" ? Or is it connected in some ways to other parts of the template?

mhdesign

Community Member, 216 Posts

5 March 2011 at 2:41pm

Edited: 05/03/2011 3:05pm

Hi. I'm in middle of the development of a new SS site and have struck exactly the same problem -- my main navigation is in the Sidebar area which works fine across all page until I come the Blog module. Then I get the blog widgets (admin, tag cloud, etc) sitting on top of my navbar.

I've just added "$SideBar" beneath my Navigation pane and the blog widgets now show up in the correct place on the page - and just on the relevant Blog page (as opposed to ALL pages in the site -- which is really cool! Apart from one thing -- the Blog widgets also appear at the top of the navbar. In other words, I get them TWICE! (which just looks like overkill)

Currently looking for an .SS or PHP file that's causing this. Can anybody give me any pointers?

thanks!