Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

User Population of DropDownField

Go to End

4 Posts   2586 Views

taligent

Community Member, 18 Posts

19 December 2009 at 3:49am

I am getting started with silverStripe and need a good kick in the butt. I am trying to figure out how to add a field in the admin area that page editors can use to enter in a description and a url. I then want to populate a DropDownField in the front end with the description so that site visitors can click the dropdownfield and select a link to go to a new section of the site or to an external site.

I have searched quite a bit through the forums and docks, but can't seem to get started on this. Anyone able to get me started?

dhensby

Community Member, 253 Posts

19 December 2009 at 5:47am

Hmmm, it's a bit difficult to know exactly what you are getting at, but using the 'toDropdownMap' function of DataObjects might help.

Something like:

$do = DataObject::get('Page');
$dropdownArray = $do->toDropdownMap('ID','Description');
/* Produces array like:
array(
   [ID] => [Description],
);
*/
$field = new DropdownField('[Label]','[FieldName]',$dropdownArray);

But it depends a bit on how you then want to have the links working, etc.

There is another way, which is to just do a control loop through the Pages and then list out all of the descriptions/links, etc:

class Page extends SiteTree {
function getAllPages() {
    return DataObject::get('Page');
}
}

(in Page.ss)
<label for="myDropdown">A dropdown</label>
<select name="myDropdown" id="myDropdown">
<% control Pages %>
<option value="$ID">$Desctiption</option>
<% end_control %>
</select>

Hope that helps! Sorry if there are any sloppy mistakes or it completely misses what you were getting at.

taligent

Community Member, 18 Posts

19 December 2009 at 10:25am

Thanks for the reply. My description was a bit vague. For a visual of what I want to do, go to www.send.hr. In the right side of that page is a dropdownfield populated with links. I need to replicate that into SilverStripe. But I want the site editor to maintain the links in the backend rather than hard coding them into an array in the php.

So I need two things. First, how do I set up an entry form in the back end so that site maintainers can enter in multiple descriptions and urls. Second, how do I read that information into a dropdownfield on the web page so visitors can select the links.

Hopefully that is a little clearer.

dhensby

Community Member, 253 Posts

21 December 2009 at 2:04pm

Hmmm... Ok. Maybe this is what you want:

Set up a DataObject that is 'DropDownElement' and that would have: PageLink and Name.

The Name would be Text and the Object would has_one Page. You can then use the SimpleSiteTreeDropdownField to allow the user to select a page :)

Something like (sorry for syntax errors):

class DropDownElement extends DataObject {
$db = array (
'Description' => 'VarChar(255)'
);
$has_one = array ('Page' => 'Page');

function getCMSFields_forPopup() {
$fields = new SimpleSiteTreeDropdownField('PageID', 'Page Link','SiteTree');
$fields = new TextField('Description');
}
}

You would then control through all the data objects and create the dropdown in the front end.

I'm doing this all from memory and really needs more digging, but i hope that helps.