Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

ModelAdmin many_many relationship

Go to End

2 Posts   1845 Views

stew

Community Member, 30 Posts

22 July 2010 at 9:55pm

Edited: 22/07/2010 9:57pm

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of converting what had been a normal silverstripe project into one using the ModelAdmin simply because the client's requirements went through the roof and the ModelAdmin looks like the best way to achieve what I need to achieve. However I've hit a brick wall and need some help.

Trying to explain what I want to achieve is a wee bit tricky but here goes,

Organisations has many contacts (done), they have one category and one legal status (both done), they have many target groups - and this is where I'm stuck.

I have created a TargetGroup bit in the ModelAdmin and populated with all the target groups that the client needs, however I can't get them into the Organisation bit, I've setup a many_many relationship in the Organisation.php file:

static $many_many = array(
		'TargetGroups' => 'TargetGroup'
	);

However it's not pulling in the existing groups, it's only letting me create new ones the same way has_many does.

I'm rather stumped as the tutorial (#5 Dataobject Relationship Management) doesn't help, I tried adding the getCMSFields(); code to Organisation.php and it didn't add in anything.

I appreciate any help you can give me,

Stewart

Edit: I meant to add, there will be quite a few many_many relationships in the database for GeographicalArea, Venues etc. Don't know if this affects any of the code, wouldn't have thought so but just incase :)

stew

Community Member, 30 Posts

22 July 2010 at 10:11pm

Edited: 22/07/2010 10:11pm

Problem solved thanks to this thread: http://ssorg.bigbird.silverstripe.com/general-questions/show/279173

Only found thanks to some magic Googling. lol.