Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

alternative to translatable

Go to End

11 Posts   2836 Views

lekoala

Community Member, 31 Posts

17 November 2011 at 2:02am

Well the thing is, I don't have the problem in my setup because if I have a translatable productpage with products, I don't create any relationship between my productpage and my products anyway, because I only have one productpage. So I just create a method on the productpage to get all my products, that you would need to create anyway to allow sorting, filters, pagination ...

I don't think the decorator can help with this, because it's an inherent problem with translatable. See this link for more info for instance
http://www.balbuss.com/translatable-duplicate-linked-dataobjects/

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

17 November 2011 at 2:42am

Edited: 17/11/2011 2:43am

Hey, thanks for posting that link to my journal ;)

Yep, I've been really busy with translating things, and I think your solution would really be a good alternative in certain situations. I was already thinking about extending the button in that post to either duplicate or link objects (instead of just duplicating), as juanitou seems to have done something similar for UC's image gallery. So that might work very well...

lekoala

Community Member, 31 Posts

17 November 2011 at 2:53am

Edited: 17/11/2011 3:00am

:-) so it's your journal ? interesting stuff in there by the way

I'm not completely convinced that duplicating things is the way to go. In my opinion, everything has to be as clean as possible in the database, that's why I created the localizable decorator. I guess you could try using it also for pages, as long as you have the same content in various languages. I'm not sure how well it will work with versions for instance, but the code could surely be updated to make it work.

Go to Top