Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

SS3 many-to-many relations

Go to End

2 Posts   2672 Views

spierala

Community Member, 80 Posts

21 July 2012 at 4:22am

Edited: 31/07/2012 9:02am

Hello all,
I just try to set up a many-to-many relation between two Dataobjects. Let´s say Events and Countries.
An event can be assigned to many countries and one country could be assigned to many events.

The relation setup seems to work basically. I have a Gridfield in the EventsPage showing all Events:

//EventItem.php
static $many_many = array(
'CountryItems' => 'CountryItem'
);

//CountryItem.php
static $belongs_many_many = array(
'EventItems' => 'EventItem'
);

//EventPage.php
function getCMSFields() {
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
$gridfield = new GridField("Events", "My Events", $this->Events(), new GridFieldConfig_RelationEditor());
$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Events', $gridfield);
return $fields;
}

If I click an Event there appears a Tab in the right top corner showing the countries. I can add and delete countries there. But they are only assigned to a single event (the one that was previously selected). I need a country list showing all countries that were ever created and with a checkbox for each country. so I can add and remove countries with just setting or deleting the relation. I think in former days it was called ManyManyComplexTableField...

any help is highly appreciated.

many thanx,
florian

JonShutt

Community Member, 244 Posts

14 October 2012 at 1:35pm

on the event page you're setting up the grid field, but getting events with $this->Events()
however, there is nothing to connect to the event to the event page?

I guess 2 options - link to the 'event' to the 'event page' with many_many or has_many relation, or make 'event' into 'eventpage' so each event is it's own page

I've written up some notes on this here http://www.silverstriperesources.com/articles/silverstripe-3-many-many-a-comprehensive-example/

I've actually put a "getCMSFields() { }" function on both sides to control it a bit better