Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Sorting and filtering children before pagination

Go to End

5 Posts   4024 Views

kaanuni

Community Member, 22 Posts

24 October 2012 at 4:14am

Edited: 24/10/2012 4:15am

Hi,

This is all for SS3

I have defined the following function in my controller:

public function PaginatedChildren() {
        $paginatedList = new PaginatedList($this->Children(), $this->request);
        if( $this->NChildren == 0 ) $nChildren = 10;
        else $nChildren = $this->NChildren;
        $paginatedList->setPageLength( $nChildren );
        return $paginatedList;
    }

I would like to be able to sort and filter the output of Children() before wrapping it in a PaginatedList and sending it to the template.
I have checked the API documentation to find the Children function, but the closest thing i found was the ChildrenOf method in ContentController. So I am curious where Children() is documented. Is it just an alias to ChildrenOf? If so where are these aliases defined.

These questions are more a matter of curiosity than anything, but I would really like to know how to sort and filter the output of $this->Children() in the controller. ChildrenOf() returns an SS_List, so I assume Children() returns one too. But SS_List doesn't have any sorting or filtering options and the documentation even goes far as to say that add doesn't guarantee a position in the list.

Given this what is the best way to proceed?
Should I be using custom SQL, maybe DataList?
Should I wrap the SS_List with SS_ListDecorator which appears to have exactly the functionality I need (although it appears to be completely undocumented)
Or is there another way to do this?

I am leaning more towards DataList as I guess this would pass off the filtering and sorting to the database server, which I suppose would be preferable. On the other hand SS_ListDecorator looks so much easier to implement (if only it was documented).

Also what is the preferred way of accessing $_GET parameters in the controller?

Thank You.

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

24 October 2012 at 5:17am

Hi kaanuni,

Hierarchy.php #434: public function Children()

Calls Hierarchy.php #560: public function stageChildren($showAll = false) Note that you can extend this function using augmentStageChildren.

Here you can at least see the query that returns the children. A similar function SortedChildren($sort) (in your Page class even) could could return sorted pages...

Martine

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

24 October 2012 at 8:14pm

$this->Children() returns a type of List, you should be able to use $this->Children()->filter(...)->sort(..)

kaanuni

1 November 2012 at 10:46pm

Edited: 01/11/2012 10:46pm

I tried modifying to code to

$paginatedList = new PaginatedList($this->Children()->sort('Title'), $this->request); 
return $paginatedList; 
}

and

$paginatedList = new PaginatedList($this->Children(), $this->request); 
return $paginatedList->sort('Title'); 
}

With the second version pagination is lost.

With both versions a page with about 160 children returns:

Server error
Sorry, there was a problem with handling your request.

Using the simple theme.

Another page with 16 children also does this. All the others which have between 2 and 13 children work fine with the first version.

There is another odd problem with the 16 child page. The unsorted version refuses to display the second page (start=10), showing the same error. I tried reducing the start value and 4 is the first problematic one. I'm going to have to turn on debug mode for this problem.

kaanuni

1 November 2012 at 11:02pm

Edited: 01/11/2012 11:23pm

Ok so with the help of dev mode i fixed the problem with the 16 child page. It had to do with a completely different part of the code. Basically a cms user did not enter some data, and i forgot to check to see if data was entered. Oddly enough, this also solved the problem with the 160 child page.

The first method works fine. I'm going to do a benchmark to see how much slower the page is with the current sorting method.