Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Site-wide message

Go to End

2 Posts   1146 Views

SilverStripeBill

Community Member, 3 Posts

5 January 2013 at 4:38am

Edited: 05/01/2013 7:49am

I'm trying to figure out how to create an editable field that holds a Site-wide message ex: "Welcome to our site" that displays on every page. I want to be able to edit the field in one place and update every page with the new message without changing any code after it's working. Even if I stuck that field on some random page, I still don't know how to access the fields of one page from a different page, especially if the pages are not direct siblings or descendants. The kind of information I would need to build a menu would probably be useful to find out how to build this site-wide message.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Edit: I've discoverd Menu(1), Children and ChildrenOf() controls
http://www.silverstripe.org/template-questions/show/9008

Is there a page that lists all the default controls/functions that can be used in a template?

zenmonkey

Community Member, 545 Posts

8 January 2013 at 4:32pm

There was a page for 2.4, but so far it hasn't been updated for 3. Most should still work though. http://doc.silverstripe.com/framework/en/2.4/reference/built-in-page-controls

As for site wide stuff, I usually use a custom site config. By default I always add the basic contact info there as wells as a default email for form submissions. In the the template it can be accessed from $SiteConfig.YourProperty