Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Database/Field name conventions

Go to End

Ronaldo71

Community Member, 10 Posts

18 February 2013 at 12:24am

Hi all,

I have to build a web application on top of an existing and large (mysql) database. Preferably using SilverStripe 3.0.3 or later.
The design of the database is pretty much ok, but the fieldnames differ slightly from what SilverStripe thinks is best (I agree wit SS though :)

- All table names are lowercase ('customer' vs 'Customer')
- 'ID' fields are lowercase 'id' ('customer.id' vs 'Customer.ID')
- Foreign key fields use '_id' as postfix, whereas SilverStripe uses 'ID' ('customer_id' vs 'CustomerID').
- All tables have a kind of prefix ('dbt_asju_'), which I'd rather not use in all my datamodel objects ('dbt_asju_cities' should be the 'City' model).

Is it possible to set these preferences somewhere? I noted that the datamodel explicitly references the 'ID' field, so my best guess is that it's not possible. Could we change this to a setting that uses the current SilverStripe names as default?

There is another application that uses the same database, so I cannot afford to rename tables and fields in the database completely. That would also require a rewrite of that other application.

TIA
Ronald