Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Unable to sub select on Left Join via ORM

Go to End

3 Posts   1843 Views

gened

Community Member, 10 Posts

10 July 2014 at 4:56pm

Hi,

I need to run something like this query below so I can order Videos based on the number of Likes they get form Members. Likes are in a join table with Member.

select
video.*
from
left join (select VideoID, count(1) as likecount from Video_Likes group by VideoID) Likes on
Likes.VideoID = Video.ID
order by
coalesce(Likes.likecount, 0)

I am running this via a ->leftjoin("(SELECT \"VideoID\", count(1) as \"LikeCount\" from \"Video_Likes\" GROUP BY \"VideoID\")", "\"Likes\".\"VideoID\" = \"Video\".\"ID\"", 'Likes') but the trouble is, when the query is built in SQLQuery it is wrapping the SELECT statement in quotes causing errors.

Any advice on this? Should I subclass DataQuery and perhaps add a function such as addCustomLeftjoin() to get around this?

I would like to use the ORM for this rather than DB::query() as I am using this as part of a wider REST querying system where I would like to add various filters to the base query based on query params.

Thanks

gened

Community Member, 10 Posts

10 July 2014 at 11:10pm

Edited: 10/07/2014 11:11pm

After playing around, I fixed this locally by editing sql() function on SQLQuery to this: (lines 905 - 908)

$table = strpos(strtoupper($join['table']), 'SELECT') ? $join['table'] : "\"" . $join['table'] . "\"";
$aliasClause = ($alias != $join['table']) ? " AS \"" . Convert::raw2sql($alias) . "\"" : "";
$this->from[$alias] = strtoupper($join['type']) . " JOIN " . $table . " $aliasClause ON $filter";

Should I do a pull request for this? Im not sure this is really the best approach, feels hacky but frustrating that I can't do a left join sub-select because of the escape strings implemented by default. FYI I am on 3.1.5.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

12 July 2014 at 11:34am

Submitting a PR may be your best bet with a test case to show what you would like to work. We probably don't have a test case of a subselect within a join (didn't know that was possible) so likely been overlooked in the ORM.