Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Initial values are empty using DataObjectDecorator

Go to End

4 Posts   2201 Views

chrclaus

Community Member, 29 Posts

10 August 2009 at 7:32pm

Edited: 10/08/2009 7:35pm

Hi,

I´m trying to set initial values on a DataObject using a DataObjectDecorator. After creating the owner-object the value is still empty.

In detail I extended the SiteTree with an custom Object:

function extraDBFields() {
    return array(
        'has_one' => array(''MyObject","MyObject");
    );
}

In the same class, I override the method populateDefaults:

function populateDefaults() {
    $myO = DataObject::get_by_id("MyObject", 1); //this Object with ID=1 exists in db!
    $this->owner->MyObject = $myO;
}

After creating a new SiteTree-item the attribute MyObjectID in the db-table SiteTree contains a 0 (zero). I tried

$item->owner->write();

in populateDefaults too, but this created a second SiteTree-item without the correct MyObjectID too.

Without any success in using the DataObjectDecorator I tried another, second solution. I extended CMSMain (in the same way as LeftAndMainDecorator does) and set the attribute on the reference parameter &$item in the function augmentNewSiteTreeItem(&$item). Without success too. The resulting attribute MyObjectID in my SiteTree-item is still 0.

I verified both method-calls with debug-statements - both extensions itself worked correctly.

Is there any other initialization after these both extension-calls which overwrites the has_one-relation?

Best regards,
chrclaus

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

11 August 2009 at 6:34pm

To bypass the relationship setter, try:

$this->owner->MyObjectID = $myO->ID; 

chrclaus

12 August 2009 at 7:57am

Edited: 12/08/2009 6:30pm

Hi Hamish,

thanks for your tip, but this did not change the initial value too. I tried to change the default page-title with

$item->Title = "chrclaus";

in function augmentNewSiteTreeItem of the extension or
$this->owner->Title = "chrclaus";

in the function populateDefaults.
But after clicking in CMSMain "Create page"->"Go" the initial values at the right side of CMSMain are still Title="NewPage" and MyObjectID=0.

Is it possible, that these initial values are overwritten after the extension had been called? I tried both solutions in v2.3.2 and 2.3.3

Best regards,
chrclaus

Correction:
Setting the title works. I mixed up my sources between 2.3.2 and 2.3.3 and changed the wrong file :-( But setting MyObject still doesn´t work!

chrclaus

15 August 2009 at 7:25am

I found a workaround and probably an issue. The value MyObjID was not written to the database-manipulation information. I took a look in this complex array and did not find the entry for MyObjID with the current ID I had set in my decorator.

Therefore I implemented another extension-method in my decorator:

function augmentWrite(&$manipulation) {
    $manipulation['SiteTree']['fields']['MyObjID'] = 8;
}

After creating a new page, the initial value is correct.

Best regards,
chrclaus