Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

DataObjectManager Module /

Discuss the DataObjectManager module, and the related ImageGallery module.

Moderators: martimiz, UncleCheese, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

No access to ffmpeg

Go to End

3 Posts   798 Views

Corry

Community Member, 17 Posts

1 November 2010 at 11:21pm

The DataObjectManager has lots of great features and I particularly like the way a page can display a bunch of related objects -looking forward to using it.

My problem is that the website I'm working on (for a not-for-profit organisation) is on a cheaper host server & they don't have ffmpeg installed. So I'd like to know what features of DataObjectManager I can still use, what my options are and what I should avoid.

The main thing I want to do is store a series of mp3 files and display a page of links to these files. I can live without having access to an inbuilt player if necessary and just provide a download link.

My questions are:
1. Is installing ffmeg within my own web space a possibility or can it only be done by the providers of the server?
2. Are there other options for an mp3 player I could look into that would integrate well with this module?
3. Failing those options, what classes/methods/declarations etc should I avoid to not invoke a "Your server doesn't appear to have ffmpeg installed" error at the top of the page?

(My apologies if these questions have been asked and answered elsewhere - I have trawled through quite a few threads before posting!)

Ryan M.

Community Member, 309 Posts

2 November 2010 at 10:53am

I don't think you need ffmpeg for mp3 uploading. It's only used if you have video or audio files that need some kind of adjustments made or conversions to a different format. However, I might be wrong.

You can disable the ffmpeg warning by commenting out FLV::echo_ffmpeg_test();

Corry

Community Member, 17 Posts

15 November 2010 at 11:07pm

Thanks, Ryan. Yes, the MP3 class doesn't use ffmpeg at all so at this stage commenting it out isn't even required. I'll act on your suggestion if I actually do start using the FLV class - took me a few days to work out what I really needed to use from the DOM.

For the benefit of any others working with cheaper hosting solutions, the included MP3 player is working fine. There was no need for me to look for any other solutions.