Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

DataObjectManager Module /

Discuss the DataObjectManager module, and the related ImageGallery module.

Moderators: martimiz, UncleCheese, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Popup Editor Image Handling

Go to End

5 Posts   997 Views

Lazarus404

Community Member, 72 Posts

10 March 2011 at 2:04am

Hey guys,

I'm using the DataObjectManager for a project I'm working on, and I'm making use of the editor it provides for popups. Everything works great, and I love the extra functionality, but I'm finding the image handling in that editor to be a pain.

The clients I have are not very savvy when it comes to the web, so they need to have this work as painless as possible. What I need is, when they click on the image link, a panel listing the contents of Files & Images to appear, so they merely need to point and click.

Has anyone achieved this, or is the code that handles this somewhat of a landmine? If so, what about swapping out the editor altogether for something that could be manipulated to this end?

Thanks,
Lee

Lazarus404

10 March 2011 at 10:46pm

Anyone have any comment on this? If not, I guess I'll get hacking! :-)

Lee

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

11 March 2011 at 3:47am

If you use Uploadify for your image uploader, you get a "choose existing" tab that will let you browse for files in the file tree. My clients really like that..

Lazarus404

11 March 2011 at 11:00am

Edited: 11/03/2011 11:03am

Thanks UncleCheese,

I'm using Uploadify, but I don't see any tab... Where will I see it?

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the HTML editor control for popups, whereby, in non-IE browsers, I get a simple URL prompt, while IE gives me some spacing options and the ability to upload a file. What I really need is to be able to specify a file from the Uploads directory... :)

Thanks,
Lee

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

11 March 2011 at 12:05pm

Ahh, yeah, you're going to have a hard time with that. I would either move everything up to the Page level and use the standard wysiwyg, or allow one or multiple images to be a field of the datobject and build it into the template.

In my experience, burdening a wysiwyg editor like that just leads to bad things. The client ultimately ends up trashing the site because they just start sticking things all over the place and pasting in garbage form Microsoft Word.

Maybe that's just me..