Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

DataObjectManager Module /

Discuss the DataObjectManager module, and the related ImageGallery module.

Moderators: martimiz, UncleCheese, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Preview: DataObjectManager module

Go to End

379 Posts   95923 Views

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

10 February 2009 at 7:02pm

Edited: 10/02/2009 7:04pm

I'll be releasing a new module soon called DataObjectManager that allows robust adding, editing, and viewing of any DataObject. It works a lot like a ComplexTableField, only with more features, and a lot cleaner.

Its subclass FileDataObjectManager allows the same functionality to be applied to DataObjects that have file relationships. It adds bulk upload support, importing, and two different view types.

Features:

- Custom filter field
- Column sort
- Drag and drop reordering
- Search bar
- List view /grid view
- Bulk uploading
- File type filtering
- File importing

I won't have a demo URL set up until tomorrow, but in the meantime, I've published a screencast here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1msUj9CwRg

A link for SVN checkout should be available by week's end.

The FileDataObjectManager will soon be extended to serve as the platform for the next release of the ImageGallery module, with some added image editing features.

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

10 February 2009 at 9:25pm

Woow.. that looks very promising, thanks ! You sure are productive the last couple of months , haha ...

This seems like something that could make the "official" module list for sure .....

Will be tracking this thread for updates

Howard

Community Member, 215 Posts

10 February 2009 at 9:32pm

This is great UncleCheese! What's the likelihood that this will get incorporated into the base install? Also how does it deal with dependencies on other modules such as the bulkuploader?

Taffy

Community Member, 119 Posts

10 February 2009 at 11:08pm

Edited: 10/02/2009 11:09pm

Just subscribing to this thread :)

Edit: Didn't click on the tick box ....doh!

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

11 February 2009 at 4:58am

This looks awesome, can't wait! Great work mate :)

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

11 February 2009 at 6:23pm

Thanks so much for the great feedback, everyone. I'm excited about this, too. It's starting to look like it has some legs.

Demo URL is now up at http://dataobjectmanager.carlinowebdesign.com

user: admin
pass: password

I'm specifically interested in any bug reports, of course, but more importantly, speed issues. I upgraded jQuery today and it seems to have lost a lot of its snappiness. But who knows. Could just be my machine.

Thanks again. SVN very soon.

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

11 February 2009 at 9:04pm

Just tested it for a couple of minutes ... Worked great for me !

I wonder how it scales though , did you test this with a lot of records already ?

I'm definitely gonna use this in our next project..... So expect more feedback in the near future... ;)

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

12 February 2009 at 3:56am

Hey UncleCheese, this is really great, it's really going to help move the tables stuff forward and I'm sure clients are going to love it!

Having tested it here are a couple of things:

* Speed seemed fine, didn't notice anything particularly slow, and certainly no slower than a regular CTF.
* File upload button did not work for me, using FF2 on Linux with flash 9.0.124. I'm at work which is why versions are a little dated so it's probably just that, although the SWF upload from the Image Gallery works fine here.
* Just to be really picky, on the grid view the trash can Icon looks a little lost in the center under the title, might look better in one of the corners?

Also here are a couple of additions you could consider, just in case you fancy some extra work;)
* Multiple Managers on a page
* Bulk deleting
* Live adjustable pagination size (possible?).

But anyway seriously great work mate, I can't wait to use this in a project!

Go to Top