Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

DataObjectManager Module /

Discuss the DataObjectManager module, and the related ImageGallery module.

Moderators: martimiz, UncleCheese, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

DataObjectManager and SearchContext: Best use question

Go to End

AlaVive

Community Member, 42 Posts

1 September 2009 at 6:43am

I'm a bit of a green stump with the following issue, so please don't judge too harshly if I need some prodding to even ASK the question correctly...

I need to be able to upload a bulk of PDF files and tag them with different criteria to be searchable and sortable from a search form located throughout the site. My understanding is that DataObjectManager (DataFileManager) and SearchContext are the best way to approach this, but I still can't wrap my head around how to manage it:

To each PDF, we need to be able to add a title and description then to tag it with the proper category/categories, associated language(s), and brand. Ideally, a broad keyword search will pull from any of the criteria. The category, language, and brand should be selectable from three different drop-downs in the form.

Preferably, when a keyword is entered, the brand/category/language is an additional search criteria, so that, when someone enters "pig" as the keyword, and then selects "German" as the language and "Pink" as the brand, only German-language/Pink-branded PDFs with "Pig" in the title/description would appear in the results.

Is this even possible SS? Even if I outsource this to a partner with more sense in these matters, I'd like to be able to endow him with an arsenal of what resources/examples are available.

Thanks in advance.