Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

E-Commerce Modules /

Discuss about the various e-commerce modules available:
Ecommerce, SS Shop, SilverCart and SwipeStripe
Alternatively, have a look the shared mailinglist.

Moderators: martimiz, Nicolaas, Sean, Ed, frankmullenger, biapar, Willr, Ingo, Jedateach, swaiba

ECommerce / Shop modules

Go to End

7 Posts   1761 Views

Josua

Community Member, 87 Posts

22 April 2012 at 6:38am

Hi!

Why are there two different branches of the ecommerce module?
- Ecommerce (Nicolaas)
- Shop (Jeremy)
How do they differ?
Does the shop module will include the cart updating via AJAX as Nicolaas module?
Seems that the ECommerce module does not have the problem with Translatable.
Has been fixed in the Jeremy's module?
Any of the modules will include currency exchange?
When do you expect support for SilverStripe 3?

Thank you for all your work Nicolaas and Jeremy. :)

Regards,
Jose

Jedateach

Forum Moderator, 238 Posts

23 April 2012 at 10:04am

Hi Jose,

We were working on our own versions of the code base for a while, and after a few failed attempts to merge back in I decided to completely fork off from the project. I believe it was a good decision, as we've both been able to pursue our own ideal solutions.

I'll let Nic explain the direction of his project, or you could see his posts about it on the ecommerce google group: http://groups.google.com/group/silverstripe-ecommerce

For the shop module, I've decided to take 2 steps backwards, before propelling forwards. I believe the module core has needed some refactoring to allow it to scale and improve moving forward.

As far as I know, the Translatable issue still remains. I'll have another attempt at fixing it soon, since people are complaining. Temporary fix can be found here:
https://github.com/burnbright/silverstripe-shop/issues/2

Here are my thoughts on implementing multi-currency:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/silverstripe-ecommerce/vnFVYy54HwU/discussion

I've had one attempt so far at upgrading to SilverStripe 3. I'll definitely be having another try at some stage, and eventually completely porting the project to ss3. It's not a priority right now.

Jeremy

Josua

24 April 2012 at 6:08am

Hi Jeremy!

Now I'm studying and comparing the two modules.
The Nicolaas has more modules to extend to the principal and has AJAX support to the cart. I have also seen that is ending the Multicurrency module.
Your module has better views for product categories, Checkout page, Account page and Cart page.
It seems that it is simpler to manage in the backend.
It's a shame you do not have AJAX support, donations and multicurrency support.
Also the fix for compatibility with translatable.
Do you expect to have soon these features?

Thanks for all your work.

Regards,
Jose

Jedateach

24 April 2012 at 8:57am

Hi Jose,

What do you define as AJAX support? ...placing an order completely via javascript? or just adding some javascript to make browsing a bit fancier?
I'm initially focusing on allowing the system to work well without needing javascript. This will help set a good foundation for adding javascript support. Also because people may want to implement their own javascript/ajax solutions, so I won't want my implementation to get in the way.

I want to have the translatable fix and multicurrency support soon, but it all depends on my workload. These features can be implemented sooner if I need them in a client project, or if someone specifically pays for them.

Did you try the translatable fix?

regards,
Jeremy

Josua

24 April 2012 at 11:21pm

Hi Jeremy!

With AJAX support I mean that when I do any operation with the cart, add a product, delete a product, increase the amount of a product, etc , the sidebar cart is refreshed without reloading the entire page.
Nicolaas ecommerce module does this.

I'm still under evaluation, I have to try more things. :)

I liked the experience with your module. :)

Thank you very much for your attention.

Regards,
Jose

Sylar

Community Member, 2 Posts

29 April 2012 at 2:05am

Edited: 29/04/2012 2:05am

Hi Jeremy,

These are great modules you got right there and it's amazing what they can already do. I'm just having a simple little prob that I'm scratching me head with. I set a FlatTaxModifier::set_tax(0.15, 'GST', false); as suggested in the example. The product price is the correct and I'm seeing the 0.15 value next to TAX, but the tax is never added to the item price on the checkout Page. I might be missing a certain configuration in my config.php maybe?

Thank you,
Mike

Jedateach

30 April 2012 at 1:13pm

Edited: 30/04/2012 1:13pm

Hi Mike,

Did you add 'FlatTaxModifier' to the set_modifiers array?

Order::set_modifiers(array(
	"FlatTaxModifier",
));

Where is this example you mention? I'll update if necessary.

Jeremy