Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

E-Commerce Modules /

Discuss about the various e-commerce modules available:
Ecommerce, SS Shop, SilverCart and SwipeStripe
Alternatively, have a look the shared mailinglist.

Moderators: martimiz, Nicolaas, Sean, Ed, frankmullenger, biapar, Willr, Ingo, Jedateach, swaiba

Is it possible to have temporary per-product discounts?

Go to End

4 Posts   1653 Views

HansR

Community Member, 141 Posts

10 September 2012 at 1:13pm

Does the e-commerce module (version 0.9, I haven't had time to upgrade to 1.0 yet) have the ability to set temporary discounts for a product? I'm thinking along the lines of the usual <<insert holiday>> specials in which the original price is quoted but crossed out, and the special price is shown. The product template does include this feature, but I haven't seen any method to set a discounted price on a per-product basis.

If this feature isn't available yet, what would be the best method of adding it? I'm not particularly familiar with the e-commerce module's APIs for adding custom behaviour.

Hans

AlphaCactus

Community Member, 12 Posts

14 September 2012 at 11:38am

A simple way would be to decorate the Product class, and ProductVariation if using them. I added a SalePrice and OnSale Boolean then

function updateCalculatedPrice( $price ) {
		return ($this->owner->OnSale ? $this->owner->SalePrice : null);
	}

You could also add Start/End dates for the sale.
However, this requires setting each product's price manually.

For a more advanced approach, you would likely have to create your own completely separate ProductDiscount class that allows you to employ more advanced rules and perhaps the ability to apply the same rule to multiple products. Then parse those rules in updateCalculatedPrice.

AlphaCactus

Community Member, 12 Posts

14 September 2012 at 12:12pm

HansR

Community Member, 141 Posts

15 September 2012 at 9:04am

@AlphaCactus

Thanks. That's easier than I thought.

The complex pricing documentation is a bit vague, but it might do almost everything that I want. The one thing that's missing is being able to display a name for the special and the deadline on the product page (e.g., "<<event>> sale ends <<date>>").

Hans