Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

E-Commerce Modules /

Discuss about the various e-commerce modules available:
Ecommerce, SS Shop, SilverCart and SwipeStripe
Alternatively, have a look the shared mailinglist.

Moderators: martimiz, Nicolaas, Sean, Ed, frankmullenger, biapar, Willr, Ingo, Jedateach, swaiba

Using SOAP to Link to Other Systems

Go to End

6 Posts   3523 Views

HansR

Community Member, 141 Posts

18 February 2009 at 3:16pm

I've been having a look at the e-commerce module. One feature that I would like to have that is not in the Silverstripe eCommerce module is the ability to link to other systems. For example, it would be very useful if it could link up with an accounting/ERP package such as opentaps. This would allow orders to automatically be placed into the accounting books.

This could be achieved using something such as SOAP to communicate between the two systems (opentaps already uses SOAP for Amazon integration). I see a few threads in the archive about using SOAP with Silverstripe, but nothing that suggests that anyone has been successful. Has anyone successfully used SOAP with Silverstripe? For that matter, has anyone looked at (or considered) adding the ability to link to external systems to the e-Commerce module?

Any suggestions on how best to add such a feature would be appreciated.

Hans

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

18 February 2009 at 9:04pm

Yeah, we are using SOAP to communicate with a middleware application in www.worldwideworker.com .... It works , but you cannot use the "default" data-objects because those only work for Silverstripe's own Database and datamodel. We ended up doing a lot of on the fly conversions from SOAP data to Silverstripe viewable data (DataobjectSets etc.)...

HansR

18 February 2009 at 11:03pm

Thanks for the info Fuzz10. I expected to there to be a certain amount of data conversion going on. Are you connecting to a SOAP server as a client? Or is the Silverstripe site the server? For what I am trying to achieve, I think that it makes most sense to run the Silverstripe as the server.

I've just noticed that there is a file called SapphireSoapServer.php, which may be what I'm looking for. However, it requires the SoapServer class, which doesn't exist on my system (I guess that PHP 5's SOAP module isn't installed). Does anyone have any details on using this SapphireSoapServer?

Fuzz10

18 February 2009 at 11:05pm

Nope.. In my case , Silverstripe only acted as client ... So I can't help you there..... ;)

HansR

19 February 2009 at 10:18pm

I guess that I'll just have to start experimenting by myself then. Was there anything particularly tricky when you created the client?

Fuzz10

19 February 2009 at 10:31pm

Well, the hardest part was converting the SOAP data into something silverstripe could work with...... I did not succeed in finding a solution to get the data-layer to "transparently" talk to soap instead of a database.....