Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

E-Commerce Modules /

Discuss about the various e-commerce modules available:
Ecommerce, SS Shop, SilverCart and SwipeStripe
Alternatively, have a look the shared mailinglist.

Moderators: martimiz, Nicolaas, Sean, Ed, frankmullenger, biapar, Willr, Ingo, Jedateach, swaiba

Downloadable Products

Go to End

5 Posts   2003 Views

sca123

Community Member, 61 Posts

30 May 2009 at 1:04am

Does anyone know whether the ecommerce module can be used for the purchase of downloadable products - in this specific case, sheet music as PDF's?

Any advice would be appreciated.

rbquirke

Community Member, 70 Posts

1 June 2009 at 6:07pm

Hi there

I looked at this briefly for a client when writing a proposal about selling ebooks online.

I didn't feel it would be too difficult to do.

The way I was thinking it would work is that when a purchase is made, a unique download url, which links to the actual pdf would be created, and this would work for say 10 days after purchase.

When the unique url is accessed, it sends to requested pdf to the user.

This url could be displayed in the purchase confirmation email and on the purchase summary page.

Not very tricky, but would require a bit of modification of the core e-commerce code.

Please bear in mind this is based on my examination of how to do it - the client hasn't said yes to the project yet, so I may be wrong!

Ronan

sca123

Community Member, 61 Posts

3 June 2009 at 8:48am

Thanks for your reply. Were you going to set this up yourself? Would you be interested in collaborative work?

timcole

Community Member, 32 Posts

21 October 2009 at 11:16am

Did you guys ever do this? If so would be interested in talking with you about it. If not, would be interested in talking with you about it!! ;-) Perhaps we could work together to do it? I don't see that it should be too hard... just a link to a file and php script to keep the real location hidden... simples!

rbquirke

Community Member, 70 Posts

21 October 2009 at 3:59pm

The client I looked at this for never went ahead with development so I didn't do any actual coding on this anyway. Not sure about the other guys.