Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Forum Module /

Discuss the Forum Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

"Forgot password" page does not send email

Go to End

3 Posts   3054 Views

xli

Community Member, 2 Posts

1 January 2010 at 7:32pm

Click on "forgot password" link from Forum page. Then fill in valid email address. Click on "Send me the password reset link". Got "Thank you! The password reset link has been sent to xxx@xxx.com". However, the email is not received by xxx@xxx.real.com.

I tried to create a test php page on the same web site. PHP mail() function is called from the php page. The email is received. That means the web server and PHP setup are OK.

SilverStripe version: 2.2.3
Forum Module version: 0.1.2

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
~xli

ChrisBryer

Community Member, 95 Posts

1 April 2010 at 4:38pm

your email probably doesnt have a 'from' address filled in, so it gets spammed, most likely.

try adding this line of code to mysite/_config.php:

Email::setAdminEmail('email@mail.com');

johnmblack

Community Member, 62 Posts

25 June 2011 at 8:43am

We had the same problem, and tried everything, including the above suggestion and also some suggestions found at http://www.burnbright.co.nz/how-to-set-up-email-bounce-handling-using-silverstripe-and-cpanel/.

For us, the problem turned out to be the DNS setup that we had done with our hosting provider. For example, if your website is www.xyz.com, and you have an outside provider to host the website, but handle email (@xyz.com) in-house or with a different provider, then you have to be careful how you set up subdomains or parked domains. In our case, the email function was actually working, but the web host's system was trying to take a shortcut with the delivery, saying "this email is addressed to someone at @xyz.com, and *I* am @xyz.com, so I won't bother going to the internet with it", and then of course the email is never delivered because this provider handles web only and not mail. The web host company had to make some more-granular settings related to our DNS handling and then all these kinds of email issues, including the SilverStripe admin emails, were fixed.