Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Forum Module /

Discuss the Forum Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Possible to get TinyMCE in forum module?

Go to End

9 Posts   7687 Views

wedwo

Community Member, 7 Posts

21 January 2010 at 6:31am

Edited: 21/01/2010 12:22pm

It seems TinyMCE is not available for the forum module. Is it possible to enable TinyMCE in the forum?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

21 January 2010 at 12:11pm

Edited: 21/01/2010 12:22pm

Well its not setup to do so. Its quite an involved change but if you wanted to change the forum module to use html you would need to do a couple of things

* Change the Post 'Content' field to be an HTMLField
* Remove all the BBCode parser calls
* Change the Post form to use a 'HTMLEditorField' instead of a 'TextField'

There is probably more steps (you probably need to create a custom HTMLEditorConfig setting as well since you don't want the full CMS html editor in the front end)

wedwo

Community Member, 7 Posts

21 January 2010 at 5:44pm

Edited: 21/01/2010 5:46pm

Thanks for the feedback Will, it seems this is an issue that people get confused about. It's alot easier knowing that I didn't break something :)

If I could offer some advice to the developers, I would say this is a feature that would really put SS out there.

Willr

21 January 2010 at 6:28pm

There is an open ticket for this work too - you may want to add yourself as a cc on that so you can be alerted of any progress. http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/4867.

I am currently scoping what features forum 0.3 will have but I doubt this will be one of them. The main thing I am worried about is for everyone that likes the WSYIWYG there will be one that doesn't and wants bbcode. Some people will want Html But NOT in tinymce (like wordpress.org). Its a matter of providing a solution which works for the wide range of people using the module.

SecretSquirrel

Community Member, 1 Post

11 January 2011 at 8:00pm

I would really like to see some kind of wysiwyg editor in the forum module, it does't even need to be html. I also noticed that you can no create tables which is a pain, as they are a really great way to show information. I wish you guys who are working on the next version could do something about this.

Willr

12 January 2011 at 8:37pm

Thanks SecretSquirrel it is on the list for Forum 1.0 which is not due for a while. If you require the feature for a project you could potentially hire a developer to do for you.

If anyone wants to contribute this feature I would be more than happy to help answer questions and help get it into the module.

johnmblack

Community Member, 62 Posts

27 August 2011 at 8:30am

Very interested in this discussion. In our case, the Moderators are the ones that need to post the most complex formatting. I understand the security concerns, but why not have wysiwyg available to moderators or based on a security option for users?

Willr> Remove all the BBCode parser calls

Are these parser calls done at write-time or read-time? What format is actually stored in the DB for this content field? (I would think it more efficient to parse at write-time into htmlcontent, to reduce processing during every page load.)

Willr

27 August 2011 at 11:24am

AFAIK it stores the content as plain text in the backend (with bbcode tags) then parsed at read time. Internally we probably want to change that so it stores it as HTML in the database since that's the only common denominator between any languages. Though storing it as HTML you would then need to make BBCode work 2 ways (to support edit forms it needs to convert html back to bbcode) which at the moment I don't think it has?

The parsing on the front end could be mitigated via partial caching which will be a good enhancement for the forum.

Go to Top