Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Forum Module /

Discuss the Forum Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Solved Thread Functionality

Go to End

4 Posts   1587 Views

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

25 July 2010 at 1:15pm

Howdey!

I'm currently evaluating features and enhancements for Forum 1.0 (and in directly the upgrade of the forum on this site) and one usage model that is coming out is people editing the title of threads to show whether something is solved.

My question to you guys and girls is would you like a slightly more official way of doing that? Say perhaps a checkbox to mark whether a thread is solved or not. By doing this we could highlight unsolved posts. I remember having a discussion about a stack overflow type model which I think could work well as a mode in the forum, it may even be another module on top of the forum.

Anyway I would love to hear your feedback about any issues you have with the current setup and any ideas. Got a lot of cool functionality coming to the forum in 1.0 so stay tuned!

Cheers,

philwhite

Community Member, 24 Posts

31 July 2010 at 12:02pm

Edited: 31/07/2010 12:04pm

Surely that's a specific use case. It depends where SilverStripe is primarily deployed, but I intend deploying it on a club site where the forum is not for asking questions and having issues resolved, but for exchanging information and ideas. I also run a PHPBB forum for discussion about language, and believe me, in 12000+ posts, we have never resolved any issue.

A more generic function for flagging threads with different definable statuses (that could be completely disabled in the forum settings - I'm all for being able to disable bells and whistles) may be an idea.

Sets of statuses could be

• high priority, medium priority, low priority
  • semantics, pragmatics, phonetics, morphology
  • open, in hand, closed
  • open, resolved

and so on. Anything that constrains the user within a solved/unsolved model only applies to question-asking forums.

Oh, or did you mean just on this forum?

Any planned release date for 1.0?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

31 July 2010 at 12:38pm

Oh, or did you mean just on this forum?

Well I was considering both but I can see your point, this would probably be a submodule which people could use (eg this site). Setting priority would be another good step. Although that again would have to be an option as it wouldn't work for question based forums (everyone thinks they're high priority)

I'm all for being able to disable bells and whistles) may be an idea.

I'm rather a fan of opt in rather than opt out so what I probably will do is have a whole bunch of extensions which people can enable to do actions. Of course the scope of what I want and what can be implemented in time for 1.0 need to be aligned!

Any planned release date for 1.0?

See http://open.silverstripe.org/milestone/Forum%201.0. I am going to be super busy with other things for a couple months but I would be aiming to have a 1.0 final (after rcs, betas) released near the end of the year based on what I would like to include. Happy to have any other contributors to help deliver any of the features listed :)

philwhite

Community Member, 24 Posts

31 July 2010 at 11:34pm

Love to contribute, but my programming skills are inadequate.

If somebody wants a full-featured forum, they need to look elsewhere. If they need a straightforward, no-frills forum, fully embedded in the SilverStripe framework, this is a good place to start, but my experience with forums tells me that security and anti-spam measures need to be prioritized over bells and whistles.

But don't get me wrong. I appreciate all the work that I am singularly incapable of doing. I love SilverStripe already and want to persuade my club to deploy it.