Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Forum Module /

Discuss the Forum Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Using the forum module to manage user registration

Go to End

5 Posts   3076 Views

cdmein

Community Member, 15 Posts

20 November 2012 at 10:05am

Hi

I am committed to Silverstripe 3 at a new development house and have, after some initial issues (install Widgets first!), am enjoying the CMS/framework.

At present there seems to be a real patchy coverage of modules however. In particular there is no module to support user registration which is what I need to look at with some urgency.

So what I was wondering is whether I could use the Forums module code (that offers registration etc. from the documentation) and use that to register users. My idea is that I could simply hide the forum itself from my site menu but use the backend administation tools to manage the userbase.

Is that a really bad idea or would that be a quick way to get a fully featured user registration 'module' working?

Thanks

Chris

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

2 December 2012 at 6:06pm

You could do that, though the member profiles module will be better - https://github.com/ajshort/silverstripe-memberprofiles. No idea if will be updated to 3.0 any time soon (or if it is already!)

cdmein

10 December 2012 at 4:13pm

Hi

I have just checked the head of GitHub against 3.0.3 - the functionality doesn't build. I get a deprecation error:

[User Deprecated] DataObjectDecorator is deprecated. DataObjectDecorator is deprecated. Use DataExtension instead

Looking at GitHub there is very little activity with a pull-request outstanding. It certainly doesn't appear that the module has been updated to work with SilverStripe 3.0

I'm not sure you have the power but is there some way of SilverStripe contacting AJShort about this module? The thing is that registering users is pretty fundamental stuff and would be great to do in a standard way. What is the standard way in 3.0 is the question I guess?

Chris

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

12 December 2012 at 10:21am

Hi,

If you check out the development branch from the repository, that's where the SS3 compatible version lives. It hasn't yet been fully upgraded, but I think most of the basics work. If you run into any issues it would be good if you could open an issue.

I will eventually finish upgrading the module, but unfortunately at the moment I haven't had the time.

cdmein

12 December 2012 at 10:49am

Thanks so much for that.

I have installed the module and can register / update / login etc. a new user so that is great. I will be working with the module over the coming month so will certainly log anything I find.

If you feel the module is at the stage it can be tested (if not deployed live) it might be worth updating the master readme file to highlight where the 3.0 branch lives. I didn't think of checking for a branch which is silly of me but others might miss it too.

Thanks

Chris