Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Forum Module /

Discuss the Forum Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How do I give forum members admin permission

Go to End

9 Posts   4678 Views

joelg

Community Member, 134 Posts

18 April 2009 at 8:05am

Hi everybody

Can someone tell me how I would give certain forum members permission to edit content in the CMS?

Thanks in advance.

Joel

mikedaul

Community Member, 6 Posts

18 April 2009 at 11:59am

I *think* you need to duplicate the member info in the administrator group. click on the security tab, click on the administrators group, then create a new member.

I am far from the definitive answer on this though...

Any idea how to create members that can moderate the forums but cannot edit the CMS?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

18 April 2009 at 6:30pm

mikedaul - in the admin section under the Security section you should see your forum members group. Click a member and you should be able to set whether they are a 'Member', 'Moderator' or 'Admin'. 'Admin' being a forum admin (eg delete other Moderators posts) but not able to login to the cms. You would have to test it out though!

joelg

18 April 2009 at 7:02pm

Thanks for the tip, Mikedaul, but maybe I'm missing something, but I just can't find a duplicate button or function anywhere?

Any ideas?

mikedaul

Community Member, 6 Posts

20 April 2009 at 4:17pm

Willr - Thanks, but in my testing changing the rank of a non-admin member doesn't actually give them the ability to moderate posts. Maybe something is messed up in my install? I've even tried building a new member class (called moderators) and explicitly setting the permissions for those users, but no dice...

Joelg - In my experience you'll ahve to manually duplicate the members; there's not a way to automate it so far as I am aware.

joelg

20 April 2009 at 5:34pm

Hi again Mikedaul

Duplicating the members manually is ok, but since I don't know the members password, I can't do that... Or is there something I've missed.

Anyway, a more smarter (coded) way would be nice...

Thanks for your help anyway...

marcius

Community Member, 2 Posts

23 April 2009 at 2:24am

One of the most important function that I miss in SilverStripe is integrated cross-module authentication and authorization functionality.

m.

joelg

23 April 2009 at 2:37am

Edited: 23/04/2009 2:37am

Guess I agree...

However, I did find a way to solve my problem, but it's really not pretty.

Open the database (phpmyadmin or something) and edit the "Group_Members" table - just change the GroupId to "1" on the MemberID that you want to give admin permission.

Of course this would we wonderful to do with a little dropdown box in the security tab under each member. I just don't know how to accomplish this yet.

Joel

Go to Top