Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Beginners Questions

Go to End

2 Posts   1009 Views

CmdGabriel

Community Member, 1 Post

26 November 2009 at 5:18am

Hi,
I am currently sorting out, what CMS to use. What I have seen from Silverstripe looks pretty good. I have some questions, where I haven't found answers so far. It would be very nice, if you could give me a short answer:

1. There is a Forum Module. Does it work with the current version of silverstripe? I tried it out, but it doesn't work and in the readme there is a short message about not working with the current version.

2. Is there some kind of polling module (with more than one question) to build questionaires?

3. Is there a good mechanism to transport data from the development computer (offsite laptop) to the life server (web)? (Except paste + copy)

4. I have seen soemthing about a comment funtion for articles. Does it work? I couldn't make it work in my test environment.

5. Is there something like "register new users" (with autoadding into the "guest group") for the CMS?

6. Is there a prebuilt module for link lists or tables?

7. Is it possible to use table prefixes (like SSTRIPE_USER, SSTRIPE_DATA, ...) to make it possible to use Silverstripe in a standard webspace environment, where you would have several application competing about one database?

Thanks for your help!
Gabriel

dalesaurus

Community Member, 283 Posts

26 November 2009 at 7:07am

1. It does work (you are using it now), but it is not as feature packed as the more mature packages out there (phpbb, vanilla).

2. Yes, http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=modules:polls

3. Not really a Silverstripe issue, but a matter of Development Practices. I use SVN and rsync.

4. Comments work well, not sure what specific issues you're having

5. Ahhh...no. As illogical as it seems there is nothing out of the box. You'll have to build one custom to your needs. There are, however, several good examples out there. See the wiki for Newsletter signup: http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=recipes:simplesignupform (It says that page is outdated, but that only applies to the Newsletter part. The code for registration/adding a member is still valid)

6. Not sure why you would need a module for this? Just write em!

7. I'm not sure about this one. No offense intended but if you have a host that limits you to a single DB you need a new host anyway :)

All in all this is a young CMS that is best geared towards developers as of 2.3.3. If you are looking for plug-and-play without any coding you might want to consider Drupal, Wordpress, or Joomla. Those will get you up and running fast, but when you're ready to work out a custom solution SS is by far one of the best choices.