Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

SilverStripe Site Down: Only Displays Garbled Code

Go to End

6 Posts   1397 Views

Whitmer

Community Member, 13 Posts

11 February 2015 at 12:33pm

I'm trying to figure out what this error is and how to fix it! The site is down, only displaying garbled code. Image attached. Anyone have any expert ideas? I'm hosting this SilverStripe site, but know very little about the SilverStripe architecture (total rookie). I had a backup from a month ago and tried to restore, but same result. www.cutbankairport.org.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated.

Attached Files
muskie9

Community Member, 24 Posts

12 February 2015 at 5:38am

Whitmer, do you have the dashboard module installed?

Whitmer

12 February 2015 at 5:41am

muskie - I'm unsure (I have made basic edits to other SS sites - is that the Dashboard you are referring to?). Or are you referring to a local testing server set up?

muskie9

Community Member, 24 Posts

12 February 2015 at 6:18am

It would be UncleCheese's Dashboard Module. I noticed a call to the Yahoo weather api in your error message which is similar to a breakage in that module a while back, so it could be that the module would need to be updated or removed if it's installed on your site.

therussdotcom

12 February 2015 at 6:23am

Edited: 12/02/2015 6:24am

Hi there,

If you view the source of the URL you posted you can see what appears to be raw PHP code. This generally indicates that your webserver is not setup correctly to pass requests for *.php files to the PHP interpreter via your webserver. I can also see the opening PHP tag is "<?" and not "<?php", if memory serves, in order to use the shortened version, you need to set that in php.ini. Otherwise, just change your scripts to use "<?php".

I also see via builwith.com that you're using Apache, so ensure your http.conf or httpd-vhosts.conf file is configured correctly to serve PHP, or consult your hosting provider (Codero?) and log a helpdesk ticket with them. If you do have shell access yourself, then the pertinent parts of httpd.conf are as follows:

1). Look for the section LoadModule and add the following, then restart apache:

LoadModule php5_module        libexec/apache2/libphp5.so

2). Look for the <DirectoryIndex> block and add "index.php" (Unless you're using SilverStripe with mod_rewrite, in which case ignore this)

3).Depending on the setup, you may also need to add an AddType block as well, sorry I forget the syntax but googling around will help you.

Cheers
Russ

Whitmer

14 February 2015 at 9:40am

Thanks theRussdotcom, it was a setting to enable PHP short codes. Worked - thanks very much!