Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

/sapphire/dev/ folder spontaneously disappearing?

Go to End

2 Posts   1653 Views

EelkeSpaak

Community Member, 4 Posts

2 December 2009 at 10:55pm

Edited: 02/12/2009 10:55pm

Over the last few days, I have encountered a serious problem with two silverstripe sites I am managing. It seems like the installation's /sapphire/dev/ folder is spontaneously disappearing or being deleted or something. This leads to a completely non-functional website, either just giving me a blank page, or a fatal error message stating that class Debug could not be found. Simply re-uploading the dev folder and running a ?flush=1 does the trick and everything is back to normal.

As you can imagine, I find this problem quite disturbing. The folder seems to disappear at a time at which no one is using the CMS. Probably (since one of the sites receives very little visitors, and the other one is not live yet) no one is even visiting the frontend site at that time.

Does anyone have any idea as to how this could have occurred? Maybe my hosting provider is screwing around (though that is very, very, unlikely -- many years of faithful service)?

The issue occurred with silverstripe versions 2.3.2 and 2.3.3 running on a Linux/Apache system with PHP 5.2.6 installed.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

3 December 2009 at 9:04am

Who has write access to your installation files?

If the www-data user has write access I would be concerned about the possibility that your site had been hacked.

It might be a good idea to pull all your core files back and diff them to a fresh copy and make sure nothing else had been modified.

Also, if you're not regularly backing up the database, start doing so now. Maybe review the content for any changes and have a look at your apache logs to see if there is anything obviously suspicious.

Finally, if you're happy that the database hasn't been messed with, create a fresh installation on your site, lock down file permissions and reload your database. Better yet, upgrade both sites to 2.3.4.

It could be something silly like your host created a cron job that removes dev/ folders for internal security reasons (maybe?) so might be worth checking with them too.