Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How to make large file available for download

Go to End

2 Posts   851 Views

MarioSommereder

Community Member, 107 Posts

8 May 2015 at 1:28am

Hej there.

I have a downloads section on my website and I have a DataObject representing each downloadable item.

Now I want to offer some videos for download, up to 500 MB in size. I uploaded them via FTP and I tried to assign them to a UploadField via "From Files", so that they don't have to be uploaded.

The system tells me, that's not possible, because I can only handle file up to 8 MB. How can I avoid this without changin my server settings? I mean, I already did upload the file and only need a reference to it.

Thanks for every idea in advance.

- Mario

camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

11 May 2015 at 10:09am

Hey Mario,

One option you could use is store your large video content on a content delivery network (CDN) such as Amazon S3 and then just provide a link direct to there (this also is a cheaper way to deliver and store the content bandwidth wise). We've also been using Vimeo to deliver our SilverStripe videos successfully (will depend on what you are doing with the videos).