Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

404 error page does not regenerate

Go to End

6 Posts   3685 Views

mozillalives

Community Member, 2 Posts

6 December 2009 at 5:08pm

My sites 404 page is not regenerating when I delete it. I'm new to silverstripe, so I could be wrong expecting this behavior, but I was under the impression that the 404 error page (along with the rest of the sites pages) was cached. I found the file (assets/error-404.html) and removed it. But now all I see is the silverstripe error page. If I do this on my dev, I see my 404 page, but it does not get recreated. What gives?

btw - the search on this forum sucks. just my two cents :)

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

6 December 2009 at 5:20pm

Have you tried republishing the 404 page in the CMS? (this is what regenerates it). If that doesn't work you might want to check that the assets folder is writable.

mozillalives

Community Member, 2 Posts

6 December 2009 at 5:30pm

Ah, that's what did it, thanks. I assumed it was the request for the page that caused it to generate.

kcd

Community Member, 54 Posts

9 February 2010 at 4:02pm

I recently moved my website and was wondering why my 404's didn't work... obviously I needed to republish my 'page not found' page but maybe this should be automated. I found it particularly confusing as I actually got the right 404 but the links to the css were wrong so it was not formatted.

Would it be nice if dev/build generated missing 404 pages?

Just a thought

Jare

Community Member, 39 Posts

5 March 2014 at 11:32am

I'm running SS 3.1 and also can't get 404 page to regenerate. Permissions are ok and publishing doesn't help. This is really strange: the 500 error page regenerates correctly when republishing, but the 400 error page gets empty. The file contains nothing after republishing.

Also I don't think it's a good habit to require republishing these pages. Shouldn't ?flush=all do the job? Thanks :).

martbarr

Community Member, 59 Posts

6 March 2014 at 12:32pm

Also check your ErrorPage table (and _live) ... I had multiple 404s in there so deleted all and a publish fixed it for me