Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

dataobject or page?

Go to End

4 Posts   1774 Views

maryfran

Community Member, 12 Posts

17 December 2009 at 3:37pm

Hi!

I am not sure I completely understand databojects. I need to create a site that has products like an e-commerce site but does not sell them. I thought that they should be pages that then went into a holder page (such as in the second tutorial), but I would want several products from each category listed on a main products page.

But then I started reading and it seemed that maybe I want to create the products as data objects using modeladmin?

I am a wordpress convert, so sorry if I am just missing something obvious.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

17 December 2009 at 7:26pm

A page is a dataobject so anything you need to use with DataObjects you can do with Pages. The decision as to which is use is a matter of personal preference as you can usually build anything using either method. If you make something a 'Page' then its easily to see in the SiteTree in the CMS and makes it easy to move around / see the structure of the site. With dataobjects you won't 'see' them in the Site Tree and you'll have to setup a Admin interface (like ModelAdmin) to manage the objects rather then using the standard tree.

maryfran

Community Member, 12 Posts

18 December 2009 at 4:50am

Thank you for clarifying. I was afraid I was going to get started and things were not going to work properly.

I think products will best be created as dataobjects and managed through the model admin then.

amdayton

Community Member, 8 Posts

9 March 2010 at 2:18pm

Thanks, I also found this helpful. This is one of those things that didn't seem completely obvious coming to SS fresh...