Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Nested URLS problem

Go to End

12 Posts   5843 Views

Krille Brocket

Community Member, 10 Posts

18 December 2009 at 3:05am

Edited: 18/12/2009 3:06am

Hi

I have enabled nested url:s using SiteTree::enable_nested_urls(); in my _config.php file.
Everything works fine until the nesting level is 5 level deep, then i receive:

Sorry, it seems you were trying to access a page that doesn't exist.
Please check the spelling of the URL you were trying to access and try again.

I.e the url looks something like this:

http://localhost/silverstripe/collections/mycollection/mycategory/mygender/product1

If I move the product page into the "mycategory" or "mycollection" then it works fine.

tobych

Community Member, 97 Posts

19 December 2009 at 9:03am

Edited: 19/12/2009 9:05am

I don't know why this is happening, but I do wonder whether having that many levels of "nesting" is a good idea. Is it really necessary, for your site? Have you tried a simpler solution with users and found that they're deeply unhappy? I'd be suprised if anyone really needed that.

Krille Brocket

Community Member, 10 Posts

19 December 2009 at 9:51am

Yes I think so, because I want to be able to filter and group my products based on collection, category and gender and all these "containers" are held inside the actual "collections" page.

But, perhaps there is a nicer solution?

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

19 December 2009 at 2:48pm

This issue was fixed in http://open.silverstripe.org/changeset/95902, and will probably find its way into the next 2.4 alpha.

geoffmcqueen

Community Member, 11 Posts

6 January 2010 at 12:43pm

Sorry, am a real noobie with SS: the SiteTree::enable_nested_urls(); method is really appealing: is this available in the current stable release, or only in 2.4?

If it is possible to get in the current stable release, is there a module I can/should/need to download? I tried adding the directive listed above to the _config.php with a default install of the latest stable, and understandably it caused a white screen error.

tobych

Community Member, 97 Posts

6 January 2010 at 1:14pm

Edited: 06/01/2010 1:15pm

Nested URLs are only available in the 2.4 branch, not 2.3 or earlier.

Also, if you're getting a "white screen", make sure you've enabled development mode so you can see more details when there are problems.

geoffmcqueen

6 January 2010 at 1:30pm

Thanks for the heads up. I've downloaded the branch from http://svn.silverstripe.com/open/phpinstaller/branches/nestedurls/ and am just about to go and get some dependencies (specifically I'm up to getting sapphire).

Again, a bit of a noob question, but is there version parity between sapphire and silverstripe? I've already got sapphire as part of the latest stable build from a couple of days ago, but since the SVN path doesn't include a version number, I'm not sure whether I should be getting a new sapphire (and I think the same will go for TinyMCE stuff I've seen mentioned as a separate external import that's needed later) for this branch, or can I use the sapphire I already have?

geoffmcqueen

6 January 2010 at 1:41pm

Got the nestedurls branch installed, but using the existing sapphire from stable wasn't good enough: the install process happened, but then when it came to loading the page, there are just white-screens and the error:

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method SiteTree::enable_nested_urls() in /data/www/silverstripe-nested/mysite/_config.php on line 29, referer: http://silverstripe-nested/install.php

Sorry for peppering you all with these (probably very basic questions): it is just that without hierarchal URLs, I'm going to have to do some massive mod_rewrite experimenting, so I'm keen to get this POC sorted from the nested branch...

Go to Top