Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We're retiring the forums!

The SilverStripe forums have passed their heyday. They'll stick around, but will be read only. We'd encourage you to get involved in the community via the following channels instead:

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Silverstripe 2.3.4 Google Sitemap Problem

Go to End

8 Posts   2947 Views


Community Member, 14 Posts

9 January 2010 at 5:46am

Hi SilverStripers,

i am running a Silverstripe 2.3.4 website and want to use the sitemap feature.

On my forum/google search i found out the sitemap feature become a seperate plugin in silverstripe 2.3.0 and later.
It is said the plugin runs automaticly, though mine seems not to run (properly?)

When i call my site i get a 500 error.

Any hint what might wrong and where to take a look?

kind regards


Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

9 January 2010 at 3:02pm

If you're getting a 500 error put the site into devmode - you should then get a proper error message :D


Community Member, 14 Posts

19 January 2010 at 9:06am

Thanks for the input Willr, but even in devmode (added url to Director::set_dev_servers array in mysite/_config.php) there is no addtional output. I just receive the errorpage from my isp :/

Does SS support some sort of local log files?

kind regards


Community Member, 14 Posts

26 January 2010 at 12:20pm

i tried google sitemap on a plain installation of ss 2.3.4 and it was working fine.

After importing the data from my live system, sitemap stopped working. I recognized sitemap timed out for me which was overloaded by my isps timeout.

I could isolate the problem to a language/charset problem. My locale is set to de_DE, which makes it default for the sitemap request aswell. When i use the request hostname/sitemap.xml?locale=en_US it works flawless.

Seems like a bug in the google sitemap addon..

kind regards


Community Member, 14 Posts

26 January 2010 at 1:01pm

Edited: 26/01/2010 1:33pm

When i requested sitemap.xml?locale=de_DE i get time out errors:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in C:\dev\xampp\htdocs\sapphire\core\model\DataObject.php on line 1378
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in C:\dev\xampp\htdocs\sapphire\core\model\Hierarchy.php on line 241
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in C:\dev\xampp\htdocs\sapphire\core\Object.php on line 268
and so on.

The requests for sitemap.xml?locale=en_US worked flawless. Just google naged about an unknown/unexpected character because a "." was used instead of a "," on one of the priorities. After changing the priority manually for this particular page google could start to do its job.

Unluckily i am still clueless what might cause the problems for my de_DE localization.
kind regards


Community Member, 21 Posts

30 January 2010 at 10:14am

I'm having the same problem, except without any localization issues. I'm running out of memory or timing out. Increasing the values for PHP memory and execution time hasn't helped any. I seem to remember reading that the current version of Google Sitemaps is only compatible with 2.4, not 2.3, so I grabbed the 1.2 tag from Subversion. That gives me the Google Sitemaps features in the CMS, but getting to the sitemap.xml file is still timing out. I'm not making much progress at this point. Any ideas?


Community Member, 1 Post

2 February 2011 at 4:59pm

Has anyone found a solution to this issue? I am having the same problem with the sitemap.xml file timing out. I have downloaded 2.4.5 and also up-ed the set_time_limit to 1000 and am still not getting the expected results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

3 February 2011 at 4:40am

Hard to tell what's causing this, could be all kinds of things. What the sitemap does is create a DataObjectSet of every live page on the site. So even one faulty page could maybe cause the problem. If your site is very large, that could also slow things down. First thing I would do is try and upgrade the site (a test version) to the newest stable SS version.

In the case of the Locale issue: this could even be a problem in one of the de_DE.php language files - you can check this by temporary removing/renaming your languagefiles one-by-one, especially the ones in custom modules and check if it now works.

Would be nice if you had access to your servers logs and see if anything else occurs besides timing out...

You could try and comment out parts of the Items() function in GoogleSitemaps/code/GoogleSitemap.php, if you're up to that, and see where it goes wrong, that would maybe give you a hint.