Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

File access

Go to End

3 Posts   984 Views

jseth

Community Member, 98 Posts

27 January 2010 at 7:07am

This might sound like a strange question, but when I upload files to our intranet website, which is configured to only allow preloaded user account access, will the documents be able to be found when a google search is performed? We had a situation where, using a hosting company, prior to making the "section" role assigned, a contact list, which was accessed by a link on a webpage, was found by googling one of the names on the list. Even after the section was made role protected, the list was still in the google cache so I had to delete the list completely from the site, and wound up just making the list a web page instead. Will this be an issue with Silverstripe? Is there something that I can do to prevent this from happening? Thank you.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

27 January 2010 at 5:35pm

Hey,

Short answer is yes, uploads are not secured and it is possible for Google to index them.

I've built a module to get around this issue, see:

Secure Files Module

It's still alpha release code but it should do the trick. Do let me know if you have any issues (hn.campbell at gmail)

Cheers
Hamish

jseth

Community Member, 98 Posts

28 January 2010 at 7:26am

Edited: 28/01/2010 7:27am

Very nice module! Works very nicely. Thank you!

Joni